The building that wanted to be an inn

Underneath an old metal awning crafted out of oven burners, bike tire rims and a sickle blade, the door to the Walnut Street Inn nestles between the prominent windows of two local shops.

In the heart of downtown Bloomington, this inn is a clandestine cove of local art, modern comforts and Bloomington lore.

“We want to show the best of what Indiana has to offer,” owner Ryan Dauss said.

Dauss and fellow owner Emily Crum have owned and operated the Walnut Street Inn since 2007. Before then, they owned Natural Elements — now known as Global Gifts — and Roots on the Square, both of which flank the inn.  

Dauss, however, said there was growing demand for overnight accommodations on the square.  

“It’s hard to find a room on a weekend in Bloomington,” Dauss said.   

He said he realized he could retrofit the business space above Roots and Global Gifts into something more suitable, like an inn, and set to work.

After six months of renovation and another six months spent finishing two more rooms, the inn quietly began business.

The wood-framed glass door at the corner of Walnut and Sixth streets leads to a wide wooden staircase, which ascends into a hallway decorated with locally made paintings and painted in neutral, earthy colors.

The front desk sits prominently in the hall, but it usually remains empty, Dauss said.  

“We’re kind of an unusual business. We don’t have someone at the front desk at all times,” he admitted. “People want their privacy, but we’re on call to help with any  emergencies.”

The slight eccentricity of the inn is reflected in each of its four suites, all with varied, spacious floor plans.

Among the flat screen TVs, new appliances and plush sofas, the rooms feature amenities like a lamp made of African desert wood and local cedar headboards made by a local Amish community.   

“Our business model is and always will be about supporting local businesses,” Dauss said. “It’s a big facet of what we do.”

The building, Dauss said, is the oldest on the square. Built in 1847, it was originally called The Faulkner. Coincidently, it began as a hotel, even once named the Walnut Street Hotel.  

“It’s ironic that it was used the same, had the same name,” Dauss said. “The building wanted to be an inn.”

While he’s excited to share his inn with the world, Dauss said he doesn’t think it will be long before he finds his next big project.

“It’s always been a passion of mine to have my own business,” Dauss said. “To be independent, self-reliant. The entrepreneurial spirit has always been something that captivated me. It’s kind of an obsession.”