Internet hacker group Anonymous’ planned attack on Fox News

Operation Fox Hunt

The Internet vigilante group Anonymous has announced that it will take down the Fox News website Saturday.

The group says the attack, “Operation Fox Hunt,” is retaliation against Fox for its unfair portrayal of the Occupy Wall Street protesters. The Nov. 5 date is in honor of Guy Fawkes’ attempt to destroy the British Parliament in 1605, a date that reenetered pop culture after the release of the film “V for Vendetta,” which serves as a tribute to Fawkes

In its announcement, Anonymous cited Fox News’ use of the words “filthy” and “disgusting” in describing the occupiers, labeling it as right-wing propaganda.

We have several issues with Anonymous’ plan. Foremost among the issues is the decision to target a news agency for practicing its First Amendment right.

That isn’t to say that we agree with Fox News. Though some members of the editorial board enjoy Fox now and again, most tend to disagree with the ideological edge of the agency or, at the very least, tend to doubt the sincerity of some its programming.

Whether we agree with Fox is largely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. For a group like Anonymous, which so staunchly defended Wikileaks’ right to disseminate its information, it is hypocritical to shut down another group because it offers a perspective different from Anonymous’ own.

This hypocrisy is emphasized because Fox News’ alleged crimes in this situation would appear to be fairly innocuous by most standards.  

This leads to another possible explanation. Perhaps the group is just seeking recognition and selected a popular target to attack. In this scenario, Anonymous members may genuinely want to hurt Fox but are more interested in recognition for their hacking prowess and skill.

It’s hard to argue against the methods of individuals and groups whose message you agree with, but it is often important to do so. While we may understand Anonymous’ frustration with Fox, the decision to attack its website does not seem likely to reflect positively on the group or its desired outcome.

At best, Anonymous members look like ideological bullies, no different than the extreme Tea Partiers shouting down opponents in town hall meetings.

At worst, they look like a power-hungry collective desiring only recognition for their abilities and potential to cause chaos.

That, we can’t abide.