Confessions: BootyDrop.com

What happens at IU stays at IU... unless you go online.

Bootydrop.com

Like many colleges, IU is a place where casual hookups happen. While most of these encounters are considered private, sometimes people feel compelled to kiss and tell.  Junior Matthew Weaver, along with co-founder Kevin Lance, launched BootyDrop.com in August as an outlet for students in the ACC, SEC, and Big Ten to anonymously tell the whole campus — and Internet — about their random, awkward, or embarrassing hookups.

What inspired BootyDrop.com?

Kevin and I noticed our friends would gather for hours in the lounge after partying just to share their humorous tales from the night. We wondered why the stories had to end there.

How did that turn into only stories about hookups?

We found that often the most entertaining tales were, in fact, hookup stories. However, whether or not the storyteller was successful in their endeavors could often be overlooked. Some of the funniest stories were what our website would deem a “Bootyfail.”

How does BootyDrop compare to sites like JuicyCampus that have been banned in the past?

While BootyDrop is similar to sites like JuicyCampus in that the content is driven by college users and is generally of a more ‘adult’ nature, that is where the similarities end. We have never been interested in creating a gossip website where students have the ability to anonymously destroy the reputations of their classmates.

What about people who say this type of website encourages men to seek out vulnerable women?

Nearly half of our stories are written by women, so if the assumption is that all females in a male’s story are vulnerable, the men in a female’s story must also be vulnerable. If someone does believe that all these people are so vulnerable, that would be more a reflection of the collegiate party scene versus any hidden agenda from our site.

What do you feel is your accountability when you receive a story that suggests assault?

We would have an obligation not to post it. I don’t believe we have stories of that nature currently on our site, but if users read a story where they believe criminal activity took place, we would love to hear from them. There is a Contact Us button at the top of our homepage and that will lead to a form where they can email us directly.

What’s the future hold for BootyDrop.com?

We are very excited about the future. I would anticipate that some time in the next few months we will begin to roll out into some new conferences. Users can look forward to the unveiling of some new features, all with the goal of keeping things fresh at BootyDrop, while keeping intact the main function of the site.