Column: IU vs. Evansville

IU’s first road game this season at Evansville
8 p.m. today
Ford Center
Streaming online on ESPN3, IU Radio Network

SCOUTING EVANSVILLE
Nickname: Purple Aces

Conference: Missouri Valley

Location: Evansville

Head coach: Marty Simmons, fifth season (played two seasons at IU from 1983-’85)
Last season: 16-16, (9-9) Finished sixth in the Missouri Valley, lost to Boise State in the second round of the College Basketball Invitational.

Top returning scorer: Junior guard Colt Ryan, who averaged 15.7 points per game last season

Returning/lost starters:
4/1

Projected starters:

Indiana
G Jordan Hulls 11.0 ppg
G Verdell Jones 11.5 ppg
G Victor Oladipo 18.5 ppg
F Christian Watford 4.5 ppg
C Cody Zeller 11.5 ppg

Evansville
G Troy Taylor 2 ppg
G/F Denver Holmes 15 ppg
G/F Colt Ryan 23 ppg
F Kenneth Harris 10 ppg
C Matt Peeler 0 ppg

My take:
I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again: Don’t sleep on the Purple Aces. Butler learned this the hard way Saturday, as Evansville knocked off the Bulldogs in overtime in their season opener. Like Stony Brook, this Evansville team is small, with no player measuring taller than 6-foot-8. However, what they lack in size they make up for behind the arc and at the charity stripe. Last season, Evansville shot more than 70 percent from the foul line, and against the Bulldogs they made 32-of-43 foul shots.
Defensively, the Hoosiers will need to focus on Evansville’s Mr. Everything, Colt Ryan. The junior guard led the Purple Aces in rebounds and points against Butler, recording seven and 23, respectively. If IU can limit Ryan and take advantage of forward Cody Zeller’s height advantage in the post, the Hoosiers will win a close one against the Aces, who were 13-3 at home last year.

Pick to click: Cody Zeller

Bet to the campus: I’m not as confident this week. If IU loses, I will dress in all purple for the Hoosiers’ next home game on Saturday.