3rd Themester comes to close

Madeleine Albright

The College of Arts and Sciences’s 2011 Themester “Making War, Making Peace” is wrapping up in December, but plans for next year are already underway.

The College’s Director of Academic Initiatives Tracy Bee said the Themester, which began in 2009, has had a new focus each year.

“Themester is part of IU culture,” she said.

This year’s Themester included several films shown at the IU Cinema, musical performances at the Bloomington Early Music Festival, galleries and lectures from speakers, such as cartoonist Garry Trudeau and former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright.

Freshman Ryan Myers attended many of the Themester events. He said meeting Albright and author Tim O’Brien were among his favorites.

“All of the events have been worthwhile,” he said. “I feel like I have learned a lot more about the conflicts in the world.”

Next year’s Themester will focus more on internal conflicts with oneself and will be named “Good Behavior, Bad Behavior: Molecules to Morality.”

The fall 2012 theme will look at good and bad behaviors through law, science, art and more by providing many different types of speakers and events, according to the Themester website.

Events for the Themester are decided by a faculty committee and two students within the College of Arts and Sciences. For some events, partnerships are formed with other academic divisions or organizations on campus, such as Union Board and IU
Cinema.

Stephen Watt, associate dean for undergraduate education in the College, said Themesters benefit students in a variety of ways by providing the opportunity for undergraduates to share research at an academic conference and allowing them to hear from prominent speakers.

These speakers come to campus to address important issues and promote contemplation of complex and diverse topics.

“It allows a student to engage an important question,” he said. “Sustainability, for example, or war and peace, from a variety of perspectives both inside and outside the classroom.”