Wisconsin defeats IU 59-7

Football vs. Wisconsin

Within the first 2:01 against Wisconsin Saturday, IU accomplished something it failed to do last year against the Badgers: stop a drive.

The game quickly devolved to resemble last season’s one-sided contest, however, with Wisconsin triumphing 59-7.

Each of IU’s first two drives on offense ended with a punt, the second of which travelled only five yards on a botched rugby-style punt.

Wisconsin scored on each of the ensuing drives after punts with running backs Montee Ball and James White leading the way with touchdowns.

The Badgers ended the Hoosiers next two drives with a fourth down stop and an interception in the end zone respectively. Ball capitalized on each possession for Wisconsin, tossing a touchdown pass on a trick play to quarterback Russell Wilson, then scoring on a 35-yard run.

The Hoosiers got on the scoreboard themselves with 4:07 left in the first half on a 67-yard run by sophomore running back Stephen Houston.

Wisconsin responded with a 38-yard field goal, then snagged an interception to end an IU drive. The Badgers scored on a Wilson pass with four seconds remaining in the half.

The third quarter again began with a showcase of defense as three drives by IU and two by Wisconsin ended in punts. After IU’s third possession, though, the subsequent punt by junior punter Adam Pines was returned 60 yards for a touchdown by Jared Abbrederis.

Ball tacked on another touchdown on the next Badger drive with a 54-yard run on the first play. He finished with 141 yard and three touchdowns on 14 carries to go with his passing score to Wilson.

Defense again ruled the fourth quarter. Wisconsin downed a punt on the Indiana one-yard line and, two plays later, forced a fumble and recovered it in the end zone for a touchdown.

Houston had 143 yards on 19 carries to lead an IU rushing attack that had 218 yards.

Sophomore quarterback Edward Wright-Baker, in his first action this season against Big Ten competition this season, was seven of 16 for 69 yards and two interceptions. Sophomore quarterback Dusty Kiel is out with an ankle injury, but true freshman Tre Roberson has played on several series. IU had a season-low 64 yards passing.

In addition to Kiel, true freshman defensive end Bobby Richardson missed the game with a concussion for IU, while the Hoosiers lost their leading receiver, senior Damarlo Belcher, to an injury in the second quarter and junior center Will Matte left with an injury in the fourth quarter.

Wisconsin was without its leading receiver, Nick Toon.