Tunes and trees pair for charity at Rhino's

While selling T-shirts, sophomore business major Adam Swartz decided he wanted to create change and do something positive instead of putting money in his pocket.
So, last year Swartz launched Green Dream Clothing Company.

Swartz’s company has a different spin from the typical clothing vendor: his company plants a tree in Africa for every item sold.

Rhino’s All Ages Music Club has teamed up with Swartz for a concert at 8 p.m. Friday.

In keeping with Green Dream’s business model, Rhino’s has pledged to plant a tree for every ticket sold.

Swartz partnered with a company called Plant It 20/20 that will take the money earned from his clothing and ticket sales to fund the planting of trees.

“I thought it’d be a good idea to plant trees because our generation is environmentally aware,” Swartz said.

Friday’s concert will feature several rap artists,including Chris Webby of Connecticut, rap group The Cranberry Show and solo artist S-preme with local rapper JMP as the opening act. JMP will perform songs from his new mix tape, “Indiana; the Mix Tape.”

“I feel really good about performing,” JMP said. “I’m excited to be performing at a venue that’s all ages instead of just 21 and up. I’m excited to see the turnout and open up for another big name.”

Freshman Brett Bassock, who has been handling the promotional efforts for Swartz, said he and Swartz have designed posters to put up all over campus.

“I’m pledging Sigma Alpha Mu, so I’ve been trying to spread the word around there,” Bassock said. “Word of mouth is huge.”

Bassock expressed excitement about his role in promotions for the event and future local music events.

“IU has one of the largest student-concert-promoting aspects of any university in the country,” he said. “I’m just really excited to get involved with that over the next four years.”

Tickets at the door are $15. However, students who wear their Big Man on Campus shirts to the show will receive $3 off admission. Students can also visit “Green Dream Presents Chris Webby” on Facebook for a link to pre-sale tickets priced at $12.

From 5 to 7 p.m. Friday there will also be a meet-and-greet with Chris Webby and other performers at Green Bananas Clothing, located at Third and Lincoln streets.

There will be free soda, and students can meet the performers and have their pictures taken with the performers.