Marching Hundred alumni return to march again

0000--1-569716889

The Marching Hundred Alumni Band (left) performs during IU’s Homecoming with the student Marching Hundred at Memorial Stadium. Courtesy Photo Buy Photos

An English professor from Michigan, a stay-at-home mom from Indianapolis and a nurse from Fishers, Ind., all used to call Bloomington home.

This weekend, former Marching Hundred members David Stokdyk and Leah Moebius Trigg and former Redstepper Terri Fancher will join their friends and fellow alumni on the Quarry Field during the IU Homecoming weekend.

“I’m one of those every-year people,” Trigg said. “Next thing you know, you’re out of college, and then you’re back.”

Trigg is also the Marching Hundred Alumni Band president. A former drum major and trumpet player, Stokdyk grew up hoping to go to IU. After four years as a Marching Hundred member, Stokdyk said he had no doubt he would join the Alumni Band.

“It was just a really great excuse to go to Bloomington and see everyone,” Stokdyk said. “Being in the Hundred and representing the traditions gives you a stronger feeling of IU pride.”

All three alumni voiced their love for IU and their anticipation of returning.

“You kind of feel like you’re part of it for one weekend, and the current band looks at you and thinks, ‘There’s all the old people,’” Trigg said with a laugh. “And they think, ‘I’ll never be that old,’ but they will be.”

Every fall, Fancher said she plans her vacation around Homecoming so she can join fellow Redstepper alumnae kicking on the sidelines and dancing a two-minute routine during the pre-game show. Performing at the game holds a new meaning to Fancher after winning an 11-year battle with cancer, she said. Fancher has returned for every Homecoming game since 1999. 

“It makes it even more special that I’ve been able to do this,” Fancher said. “When I stand on the sidelines, and the Marching Hundred starts playing, I get very tearful, especially when they play the alma mater.”

Fancher is one of the first Redsteppers that joined shortly after the group’s inception in 1972. As a pioneer member, she helped pick the group’s current name, which is based off the red go-go boots the girls wore at the time. The only difference between now and then is Fancher’s flexibility.

“I can still get my legs up to my shoulders, but now it’s not as high as it used to be,” she said.

During Homecoming weekend, spectators can find some Marching Hundred Alumni Band members at the Friday parade. Because of the distance and travel, more alumni will play at the Homecoming game Saturday.

More

Historic houses of IU

The average IU student walking to and from classes in a hurry can forget the architecture IU boasts. While each building around campus has its own personality, few can compare to the character and history of these famous IU landmarks.

Roomates: what's your magic number?

A roommate can make or break a college experience. If you go random and get someone you don’t get along with then it may make for a long year.