sports women's soccer

IU loses 8-2 to rival Purdue

Purdue scored first in the 28th minute on a counterattack from an IU corner when Purdue midfielder Mollie Kuramoto was able to tuck her shot just inside the post.

Then the rain fell — in earnest.

Purdue scored two more goals in 2:11 and was never seriously threatened en route to an 8-2 win.

For the first 25 minutes, IU played well, IU Coach Mick Lyon said.

“We owned them,” he said. “We had possession, we had chances (and) we looked well-balanced.”

IU faced a 4-0 deficit at halftime, its biggest of the season. However, the team continued to battle in the second half.

“You get this back one goal at a time,” Lyon said. “If you want to be part of a great comeback, this is your chance. We’ve put ourselves in that kind of position to have to do that. Go get one goal. Then let things flow from there.

“When you’re four down at halftime, it’s easy to lie down and decide not to play. I didn’t see one player lie down and decide to quit on it.”

At the start of the second half, senior midfielder Devon Beach was switched to an attacking midfielder role. She scored her second goal of the year in the 69th minute.

Redshirt freshman midfielder Monica Melink gave the Hoosiers an opportunity to score their second goal, as she was pulled down in the box.

Junior forward Orianica Velasquez converted the penalty kick to earn her team-leading seventh goal of the season.

The team’s seniors saw Purdue raise the Golden Boot for the fourth time in four matches.

“Coach (Tom) Crean talked to us this morning,” he said. “He was right about the fact that motivation is overrated. It’s inspiration. I’m going to do nothing, say nothing to them. If they’re not inspired to want to go out with a bang with something positive at home, then I probably don’t know them as well as I think I do.”

Lyon said his team knows what’s at stake and can play well enough to end the home careers of the senior class with the team’s third Big Ten win.

“The six seniors will be inspired on Sunday, without any doubt, to win their final home game in an IU uniform,” Lyon said. “It’s all down to them. If they want to show up on Sunday inspired to play, then we can compete, play with Michigan State and get a win. No doubt about it.”