sports volleyball

Hoosiers seeking 1st conference win against Hawkeyes

Volleyball

Last season, the IU women’s volleyball team lost its first four Big Ten games before beating Ohio State and Penn State. The team won 11 of their final 19 games en route to the program’s first Sweet 16 appearance.

After losing the first four Big Ten games again this season, IU Assistant Coach Paul Koncir said — like last year — this weekend’s games at Iowa and No. 6 Nebraska can be a turning point in the team’s season.

“We were looking down the same barrel (last season), and winning those two matches really turned everything over for us and after that we were off,” Koncir said. “Wins this weekend — especially against Iowa, whom we match up well with — we have to kick the weekend off like that.”

The Hoosiers travel to Iowa City, Iowa, on Friday night to play the 10-7 Hawkeyes. Like the Hoosiers, the Hawkeyes are winless in the Big Ten at 0-4.

Freshman Alex Lovell and senior Megan Eskew lead the Hawkeyes in kills with 166 kills and 162 kills, respectively.

On Saturday, the Hoosiers will compete at the 4,030-seat Nebraska University Coliseum for the first time since losing to the Cornhuskers on Sept. 24, 1988.

No. 6 Nebraska (11-1), which has won three national championships, has started its first Big Ten season with a quick 4-0 record, including wins against then-No. 5 Penn State and No. 17 Michigan.

“With a team like Nebraska, it’s like being in against a big boxer you can’t defend all night,” Koncir said. “You have to figure out the best way to attack them, and go for that. Those are the ideas that we will go with into that match.”

Freshman middle blocker Morgan Leach has led the team with 62 blocks and ranks fourth on the team with 121 kills.

While Leach has stepped up to fill the void left by last year’s All-American middle blocker, Ashley Benson, Koncir said the team’s success does not revolve around one superstar but instead is dependent on the whole team.

“We are, this year, a conglomeration of parts,” Koncir said.

IU Coach Sherry Dunbar said the problem with the team has been individual
inconsistencies.

“When that light goes on, some people are not stepping up to that challenge, and they are not enjoying the challenge like they need to be at this level,” Dunbar said. “The hunger has not been there.”