sports women's soccer

Hoosiers host Penn State, leading national goal scorer

The Hoosiers (6-6-1, 2-3) welcome No. 21 Penn State, which is riding a six-game winning streak, to Bloomington on Sunday in IU’s penultimate home match of the season.

Penn State is dynamic offensively, featuring the nation’s leading scorer Maya Hayes. Six of Hayes’s goals are game winners.

Junior defender Cierstin Burks said she and her teammates will have to be on “extra alert” when marking her.

The Hoosiers had success containing another prolific scorer, Nebraska’s Morgan Marlborough on Sept. 25, holding her to six shot attempts with one on goal.

IU Coach Mick Lyon said his team can draw on its success against Marlborough.

“We make sure they remember good things,” Lyon said. “We can play against a player like that, force her to shoot near-post all day, then you got a chance of winning game.”

The Hoosiers had four corner kicks in their two matches last weekend, allowing Penn State to take the conference lead in corners attempted. Indiana averages 6.31 per game,  second behind the Nittany Lions and Ohio State.

Burks said she is cognizant of Penn State’s ability to earn corner kicks.

“We need to focus on defending them, knowing they get a lot of corner kicks,” Burks said. “It’s doing the things we already do well: Getting corner kicks and making sure we’re defending them.”

Offensively, IU will look to reestablish itself from the set piece, senior midfielder Kaylin Clow said.

“The last couple games, we weren’t getting as many corners,” she said. “We’re going to get back to it. Taking the ball down the line and trying to cross (it) right in front of goal. That’s what creates corners. It’s going to be a good game as far as corners.”

The Nittany Lions lead the conference with eight shutouts. They are tied for second in goals allowed, as opponents have managed 11 goals in 14 matches.

“Their defense has been solid,” Clow said. “It would be awesome to be the team to break that streak.”

To be that team, Lyon acknowledges his team must play close attention to Hayes.
“This is a key player,” he said. “Shut her down, and you’ve got half the game won.”