Hoosiers aim to break 2-game skid

Men's Soccer vs. Louisville

The season seemed too good to be true — then Wisconsin and Louisville happened.
The IU men’s soccer team will enter its matchup Sunday afternoon with No. 5 Creighton on a two-game losing streak, the first adversity the team has faced this season.

After a 2-0 loss Oct. 2 at Wisconsin and Wednesday’s 3-2 collapse at the hands of No. 11 Louisville, the Hoosiers (6-2-2, 1-1) are looking for answers.

Goalie Luis Soffner had refused most shots that came toward his goal, giving up only four goals in the first eight games. In the last two second halves and one overtime, he has given up five goals.

Wednesday night it appeared the Hoosiers were in complete control before two quick goals late in the second half and another in overtime.

Senior Tommy Meyer said he thinks the team just needs to focus on the future and move on from its most recent defeat.

“We just had a couple of key moments where we lost our concentration, but I think we’re ready to play on Sunday,” Meyer said. “Once Creighton comes in, we are back at home. You can’t beat playing at this place.”

Creighton will enter Sunday’s match with a 9-1 record coming off its 2-1 overtime victory against Wisconsin on Wednesday. Facing one of the best defensive teams in the country, the Hoosiers will be tested, but offense hasn’t been the problem.

In the last two games defensive breakdowns have plagued Indiana.

IU Coach Todd Yeagley emphasized keeping focus for all 90 minutes and focusing on what the team can control.

“Our focus was better on all the restarts,” Yeagley said. “We’ve been doing well this year. We had a slip this past weekend, but sometimes plays are made. You have to look at it, and you did everything that you could, credit them for making the play. We just have to make another one.”

Senior Chris Estridge said he thought although the Hoosiers lost, this stretch can unify the team.

“There was not much of a reason for us to lose this game. We were up 2-0,” Estridge said. “We just have to take this and use it as a little bit of a motivation moving into the next game.”

While the loss to Louisville left the players standing shocked on the field as the Cardinals celebrated, Yeagley said he sees it as something much bigger than just a loss going forward.

“We know where we are if the team that played in the National Championship last year came here and we out performed them in many ways,” Yeagley said.

“Clearly, this is the best team we have played and our guys rose to the occasion and performed very well. It’s just unfortunate that a few moments slipped away and we couldn’t get the result.”