Family, friends remember Erickson’s humor

Matthew Erickson

Last week, Matthew Erickson’s Facebook page started to fill up with messages from friends describing their memories of the IU freshman who died Wednesday.

Those who knew him best said the Valparaiso native was always smiling.

“He was a funny kid,” said Cheryl Erickson, Matthew’s mother. “He was never afraid to express himself, whether it be with his hair, clothes or sports.”

After moving from private school to public school in ninth grade, he embraced the difference, his mother said. She said he was never afraid to meet new people.

“Through junior high, he had a small group of friends, and as he moved through high school, that group kept getting a little bigger and bigger,” Cheryl said. “Those who met him loved him immediately.”

Cheryl said Matthew’s humor occasionally got him into trouble during school.
“He had a very witty, dry sarcasm,” she said. “Teachers would either be totally on board with him or not so much. He definitely lit both ends of that candle multiple times.”

Matthew’s friends said his humor is what they will remember most about him.

“He was always laughing and saying funny things to cheer people up,” close friend Shaun Patterson said in a Facebook message. “Even people who didn’t know him very well can understand how good of a guy he was.”

Patterson said high school was a blur of memories that included Matthew.

“I hung out with him almost every single day in high school,” Patterson said. “A lot of my funniest memories through school involve him.”

A friend from high school, Megan Elizabeth Graykowski, said the thing she will miss most about Matthew is the way he cared for others before himself. He knew how to help others with their problems, she said.

“He made sure you were OK before he made sure he himself was,” Graykowski said in a Facebook message. “He was talented in that he knew how to make people smile. He had a smile that would make anyone’s day.”

High school friends Autumn Cole and Evan Kuehl said people were drawn in by Matthew’s personality.

Kuehl said Matthew had that effect on people in school, as well. His personality didn’t change when he was in class.

“Band class was my favorite memory of Matt,” Kuehl said. “He and a teacher, Mr. Rosario, would always crack jokes on each other. He made the classroom an
absolute blast.”

Some of Matthew’s floormates in Read Center said he seemed shy, but Kuehl said that was not the case.

“Oh man, he was hilarious. You could not not be laughing when you were around Matt,” Kuehl said. “No matter how sad or mad you were, he would still make you smile.”

Valparaiso High School cross country teammate, friend and IU freshman Christopher Skok said he always turned to Matthew to find the good in the bad during the workouts.

“Running is not always the most fun thing, if you think about it,” Skok said. “But he would help us get through the roughest workouts.”

Skok said he remembered warming up one day before a big meet.

“We were about to start running, and you could look around, and everyone would be serious and have serious expressions,” Skok said. “But he would have a smile on his face. He kept us motivated and stayed positive always.”

Matthew’s cross country coach, Mike Prow, said Matthew’s personality and work ethic had a positive effect on his team.

“We’re going to miss him,” Prow said. “He definitely had an effect on the younger guys. You could tell they were hurting when they received the news at this morning’s
practice.”

Prow said Matthew enjoyed being part of the team. He was not the top runner, but he never complained.

“He had an effect on every athlete around him,” Prow said. The Valparaiso Vikings cross country runners had Matthew in their hearts on Saturday during the Duneland Athletic Conference meet, Prow said. 

“We’re going to say a small prayer before we go out to Duneland,” Prow said
Thursday.

Prow said even though this period of mourning is difficult, people should remember Matthew’s humor and liveliness.

“Just at the end of June, I was at his open house,” Prow said. “We were having a good laugh about Indiana basketball. He was always laughing.”

Cheryl said her son’s death has changed the way she looks at the moments that make up life.

“This experience has made me realize we really need to enjoy life more,” Cheryl said. “We need to let the little things go. We should take a step back and not take things so serious all of the time.”