Despite 4th quarter comeback, IU drops 4th game against Penn State

IU v Penn State

Since Penn State joined the Big Ten in 1993, five different IU football coaches have gone winless against the Nittany Lions.

Make that six.

In IU’s first conference opener with IU Coach Kevin Wilson, the Hoosiers fell 16-10 against Joe Paterno and Penn State despite a first-quarter lead and a late comeback attempt in the fourth quarter.

A deep pass from sophomore quarterback Dusty Kiel during the final play was nearly caught in a mob of players from both teams a few yards short of the end zone. A touchdown and extra point would have completed a Hoosier comeback after a 16-3 deficit.

“Our guys were ready to go all week for this game,” Kiel said. “Defense came out and played great. We just have to keep working on offense.”

IU struck first in the game with a 49-yard field goal by sophomore kicker Mitch Ewald in the first quarter. The score capped a drive that began with freshman safety Forisse Hardin’s interception deep in Hoosier territory.

Penn State evened the score with a short field goal from IU’s five-yard line with 2:57 remaining in the half. They followed with a takeaway of their own, intercepting Kiel.
The game remained tied at the half after a 52-yard attempt by Penn State at the end of the second quarter that fell short.

The Nittany Lions took the lead on a 27-yard field goal less than two minutes into the second half before quarterback Matt McGloin found Penn State’s top receiver, Derek Moye, open for a 74-yard breakaway touchdown to give Penn State the two-score lead.

“I take full responsibility and blame for that one,” senior linebacker Jeff Thomas said. “We made the right call, should have had the guy doubled. I slipped up in coverage, and the safety had to get me. We had one on one with Greg, but Greg usually makes that play nine out of 10 times, but today the wide receiver was pretty good, and he made a good play.”

Penn State tacked on a fourth-quarter field goal for a 13-point lead before IU stormed back with its own scoring drive, which culminated in a touchdown pass to Ted Bolser with 3:51 remaining.

“With our hurry-up, we get a couple first downs, and it makes everyone more relaxed and on pace,” Kiel said.

IU’s defense forced a punt on the next Nittany Lion possession, giving the Hoosiers the ball back with 2:01 left. The drive was unsuccessful, ending with Kiel’s incompletion on the final play.

Hardin was one of several new starters for IU. His brother, redshirt freshman Drew Hardin, also started at safety, while true freshman Bobby Richardson started at defensive end and true freshman Mark Murphy, recently converted from safety, saw playing time at linebacker.

He played both positions Saturday. Several of the new starters were among the statistical leaders on defense for IU. Drew Hardin tied for the team lead in tackles with nine while Richardson, who recently switched to defensive end from defensive tackle, had eight.

“What I think I did best is just run to the football every play, every time that I could,” Richardson said.

On offense, Kiel made his first career start for the Hoosiers in place of sophomore Edward Wright-Baker, out with an ankle sprain that prevented him from practicing at all during the week. Wilson expects him to return to practice this week.

Kiel finished the game with 22 completions on 45 attempts for 184 yards, a touchdown and an interception. He completed passes to 11 different receivers on the day.

“Dusty played well,” Wilson said. “He needs his supporting cast to play better, but he also has some glitches, and as he plays.”

Also starting for the first time was sophomore running back Stephen Houston, who finished with 60 yards during 18 carries. True freshman D’Angelo Roberts did not play due to injury, and former starter redshirt freshman Matt Perez played sparingly.

Though Penn State kicker Anthony Fera had a career-high three field goals in the game, several of the field goals were the aftermath of IU goal line stands that prevented Penn State from turning long drives into touchdowns.

“We’ve been doing pretty well with people in the red zone,” Thomas said. “We just have to keep chugging along.”