Column: IU Athletics Midterm Report Card

Midterms are underway, and the semester is halfway complete. With the first eight weeks in the books, it is time to hand out grades to each of IU’s fall sports teams.

Football: D
Not many people envisioned a 1-6, 0-3 start for first-year IU Coach Kevin Wilson’s team. His motto, “Win Today,” and fiery attitude had many fans excited to begin a new era of Indiana football. Two months later, the offensive struggles continue as the team lacks any consistency on either side of the ball.

The Hoosiers have been outscored 222-147 through the first seven games, which includes a 59-7 thumping from the Wisconsin Badgers last weekend. The Hoosiers need to find a way to piece together four quarters of football if they hope to win again this season.

Volleyball: C-
The volleyball team (8-12, 0-8) came into the season with high hopes after a run to the Sweet Sixteen last season. After an 8-2 start, it looked to be another solid season for the Hoosiers. However, they remain winless in Big Ten play and have plummeted to dead-last in the conference standings after a 10-game losing streak.

The season is not lost, as 12 matches remain. However, the team’s postseason hopes are shrinking fast with each loss.

Women’s Soccer: C+
The women’s soccer team (6-9-1, 2-6-0) has had one consistency all season: being inconsistent. The Hoosiers are currently on a three-game losing streak and rest in 11th place in the Big Ten standings. They have managed to win back-to-back games only once this season and have struggled week after week. IU looks to avoid its second straight losing season; however, it will need to win out the regular season to do so. Three games remain before the Big Ten tournament, and IU has a lot to figure out if it plans to have success.

Men’s Soccer: A-
The men’s soccer team (8-3-2, 2-1-0) had an almost perfect grade before losing three straight games to opponents that all have a solid chance to reach the College Cup.
Although the Hoosiers hit a bump in the road, they are a solid team and still have time for improvement before tournament season.

They are currently third in the conference and are still in the run for the regular season crown. Do not forget this seven-star team, as it seem to be back to its winning ways.

Women’s Field Hockey: B+
After a .500 finish last season, not many knew what to expect from this year’s field hockey team. However, the Hoosiers (8-5, 2-3) have improved and found themselves in the top 25 for the past few weeks. When at home, it is almost a lock that the Hoosiers will find success. However, on the road, it is a much different story. IU is 6-1 at home and a dismal 1-4 away from Bloomington. IU needs to fix its traveling blues, as all four of its remaining matches are on the road.

Men’s Cross Country: A-
The cross country team is gearing up for the Big Ten Championships and should expect to do well. The Hoosier men find themselves ranked No. 7 in the country. The women are working hard to find their stride as both the men and the women near the end of the 2011 season.

­— smitmatt@indiana.edu