A ‘League’ of its own

theleague

Although FX’s comedy “The League” is about fantasy football, it’s not just for football fans. Now in its third season, it is arguably one of today’s best-written comedies, with incredibly sharp dialogue and rich, endearing characters.

The brilliant second season of “The League” centers around a group of friends who have a fantasy football league and take it extremely seriously. Every episode is packed with fierce trash-talking, intense analysis and planning for each game, along with creative gloating from the week’s winners.

The characters struggle with balancing their passion of fantasy football with their daily lives and relationships, resulting in hilarity. In one scene, Ruxin (Nick Kroll) tries to covertly update his roster while his wife (Nadine Velasquez) is blindfolded and tied up in bed talking to him.

Another standout cast member is comedian Jon Lajoie, who rose to fame through hilarious YouTube songs like “Show Me Your Genitals.” Lajoie’s character is quirky and very popular with the ladies, yet has a childlike cluelessness that makes every scene he’s in that much funnier.

Fantasy football fans especially will love the frenzied competition, and even people who don’t like football will find themselves personally invested in the emotional highs and lows of life in the league.