Small sorority offers big outdoor movie event

In an effort to change the greek system’s image, Gamma Phi Omega had a Dunn Meadow movie night, hoping to attract students looking for something besides keggers or wild parties.

Four best friends — and the four members of the Latina sorority Gamma Phi Omega International Sorority Incorporated — said they knew this was the type of event they wanted to put on as a sorority.

Friday, they sponsored Movie in the Park in Dunn Meadow, where students could enjoy the fall weather, a picnic and see the movie “Hitch.”

“There’s only four of us,” said Cristal Cisneros, senior and president of Gamma Phi Omega. “So putting on an event like this is kind of a hoorah for us.”

To pull off an event like the sorority wanted, Cisneros turned to Union Board
for help.

“She wanted to do an outdoor film,” said Graham Davis, junior and director of films for Union Board. “It was a good alternative to drinking.”

That was one of the driving factors behind the movie — providing a fun way for students to enjoy their Friday nights without having to party. 

“Events that we sponsor are one kind of an alternative to drinking,” Cisneros said. “We don’t have the pairing. We don’t do the Little 5 ‘let’s get crazy’ stuff.”

Sophomore Devyn Manschot said she heard about the event through her job as a freshmen liaison.

“It’s a little cold, but outdoor movies are a lot more fun than traditional movies,” she said with a laugh.

Davis said they were expecting about 80 people to attend the event.

“I hope that people come out to kind of enjoy the first day of fall. I hope people bring picnic stuff — that’s kind of what I wanted to see.”

Cisneros said she had a loftier goal in mind — attempting to re-brand greeks.

“We really hope to get our name out and let the community know that fraternities and sororities aren’t just about partying,” she said.