sports men's soccer

Senior forward scores IU's only goal to keep team undefeated

Results of the last 14 seasons

As sophomore A.J. Corrado’s pass came sailing through the air, senior Alec Purdie had just one thought on his mind as he stood by Penn State’s right goal post.

Not when he would jump, not where in the goal he was going to try to put the ball — none of that seemed to matter.

“I just wanted to get it past the goalkeeper and into the net,” Purdie said.

He did just that. The lone goal gave No. 7 IU a 1-0 victory against No. 16 Penn State on Friday at Jerry Yeagley Field. The squad is now 6-0-2.

Even though the win secured an undefeated start to their Big Ten season for the 21st straight time in program history, and even though it was its first win against a ranked opponent this season, it certainly wasn’t their best, IU Coach Todd Yeagley said.

“It’s a great game. Penn State was very good on the night, but we can play much better,“ Yeagley said. “To get a result and knowing that we weren’t at our best was a positive for this team.”

In the first half, Penn State’s defense had the upper hand. Going into the game, the Nittany Lion defense was yet to give up a first half goal this season, and IU’s offense had outscored its opponents 11-2 in the first half.

“Penn State wanted to slow the game down with all those out of bounds at the get go,” Yeagley said. “They pressured us well, and our attack was not as fluid as it has been. It was good in bits and pieces, but we can play a lot better.”

Indiana did have their chances, though.

Less than six minutes into the game, it appeared that senior defender Chris Estridge headed in a goal off a corner kick, but the goal was called back due to an offsides penalty.

It would be more than 70 minutes later when IU had another opportunity as great as the one from Estridge. They wouldn’t miss that time.

Corrado lofted the ball from the top of the box over the heads of numerous Penn State defenders, right to where Purdie was jockeying for position. The ball connected with Purdie’s head and sailed into the back of the net.

“The ball came across the top of the 18 and A.J. Corrado — a great guy for a pass, second to none — gave me a perfect ball, and I couldn’t miss it,” Purdie said.

But without another shutout in goal by junior Luis Soffner, Purdie’s goal may not have been enough. Soffner has now logged a current scoreless streak of nearly 340 straight minutes in the box.

“He’s been great for us this year,” Estridge said. “He’s been just a rock in the back and made a lot of huge saves for us.”

Yeagley reiterated the same message, saying how much he’s seen Soffner grow in his two years as a starter for the Hoosiers.

“Luis’s really feeling good right now, and for a player who’s been a two-year starter who’s had ups and downs in those two years, I couldn’t bee more proud of him,” Yeagley said. “He’s not the finished product yet, but our goalkeeping team has pushed him to a new level.”

As Yeagley and his team go on to play more highly ranked opponents this season and in games with more at stake, they knew all along that this first Big Ten game was one they had to win.

“Penn State was a ranked opponent, but our focus was starting the Big Ten season with a win, whether it was Penn State or whomever, ranked or not ranked,” Yeagley said. “The Big Ten regular season is a very different season, and after winning it last year, they (his players) really understand how hard it is and how good it feels to accomplish that.”