sports men's soccer

Purdie powers Hoosiers

After losing almost half of their offensive production in the offseason when Will Bruin left for the MLS, the IU men’s soccer team faced a monumental question going into this season: who would score?

But after this weekend’s Mike Berticelli Memorial Tournament, the Hoosiers may have found their man.

He played under the spotlight of his senior season and just miles away from his home in Elkhart, Ind. 

Senior forward Alec Purdie scored three goals for the weekend, powering his team to wins against Bucknell and Denver for the tournament title.

Friday night, it was Purdie’s quick start that propelled IU to its third win of the season.
Purdie scored his first goal of the night in the 20th minute in a scramble around the Bison goal, rebounding a shot from sophomore midfielder Harrison Petts.

Just three minutes later, Purdie capitalized again with his second goal of the game and third of the season.

“Purdie played really well all weekend,” IU Coach Todd Yeagley said. “He just does a great job at being effective, and when he’s on, he’s tough to deal with.”

Bucknell came out firing in the second half, though, and after an own-goal off an IU player in the 61st minute and another goal in the 69th, IU’s clean record seemed to be in jeopardy.

With just 13 minutes left to play in regulation, freshman Eriq Zavaleta saw the ball roll his way and drilled it into the back of the net for his third goal of the season.

It also earned the team’s third win of the season.

In the latter match of the weekend, the Hoosiers again wasted no time.

Senior Chris Estridge scored in seven minutes off an assist from Purdie.

It was the fourth time the team has scored in the first 20 minutes of a match this season.

Purdie made his mark again 23 minutes into the match via a misplayed ball by Denver goalkeeper Mate Aguirre.

As Aguirre attempted to punch the ball away, Purdie stole the ball and sunk his third goal of the tournament.

After a goal late in the first half, Denver tried to send the game into overtime in the closing seconds by bringing Aguirre up on a corner kick to gain the one-man
advantage.

They got off two shots that barely missed, and IU snuck away with its fourth win of the season, the team’s best start since 2005.

Along with teammates Estridge, sophomore Jacob Bushue and redshirt freshman Kerel Bradford, Purdie earned a spot on the All-Tournament team for his early striking efforts.

Yeagley said he hopes Purdie and his teammates continue striking early next weekend.

They will travel to the East Coast for a match against St. John’s on Friday before ending their four-game road trip with Rutgers on Sunday.

“We really try to get our guys to go into games ‘attack-minded,’ not wanting them to sit back and wait for the other team to act,” Yeagley said. “When you create chances and execute, you put teams on their heels — they can’t sit back anymore, and often times you score a few more.”