Hoosiers seeking first win of season against Cavaliers in home opener after loss to Ball State

IU vs. Ball State Football

IU’s loss to Ball State ended at about 10 p.m. last Saturday, but Doug Mallory and Mike Ekeler, co-defensive coordinators, didn’t go home until seven hours later.

“I came up, and Doug and I watched the game. We went home at about 5 a.m.,” Ekeler said. “I don’t know if I’ve slept since then. We take it very personally.”

IU’s performance Saturday gave Ekeler quite a bit to think about. The Cardinals rushed for 210 yards while the Hoosiers ran for 103 yards. That’s a result they hope to avoid when Virginia visits Memorial Stadium to kick off IU’s home schedule at 7 p.m. Saturday.

En route to a 40-3 trampling of William & Mary last Saturday, the Cavaliers rode their large offensive and defensive lines and outrushed the Tribe by nearly 200 yards (240-48).

Like IU, Virginia played a number of very young players, from redshirt freshman running back Kevin Parks (who ran for 114 yards and three touchdowns) to freshman cornerback Demetrious Nicholson to sophomore quarterback Michael Rocco.

“As their running game got going and the quarterback got in rhythm ... they were kind of playing on their terms,” IU Coach Kevin Wilson said. “And that’s the sign of a good team.”

Rocco, like IU’s sophomore quarterback Edward Wright-Baker, made his first collegiate start last week. Rocco threw for 174 yards compared to Wright-Baker’s Big Ten-leading 272 yards.

Looking back, Wright-Baker said he felt he could have passed for significantly more yardage.

“I missed a lot of easy throws,” Wright-Baker said. “I left like 300, 400 yards on the field, where I could have gotten the ball to playmakers like Kofi Hughes and Damarlo Belcher, and that’s hopefully what I can do this week: not leave yards on the field.”
For Wright-Baker to have time to get the ball to his receivers, the offensive line will have to fend off Virginia’s experienced defensive line.

Co-Offensive Coordinator Rod Smith said in order for the Hoosiers to win the battle at the offensive and defensive lines, coaches must set an example for players with increased fervor.

“The kids have to understand the enthusiasm and the passion that we have in our jobs ... I think that’s where it starts,” Smith said. “I think once they see that and feel that, then hopefully that becomes contagious and trickles down and now, all of a sudden, they want to have success for not just themselves but for their teammate as well.”

Belcher will also face a test against Virginia cornerback Chase Minnifield, who was named a Preseason All-Atlantic Coast Conference player.

Belcher said he is excited to line up against such a talented opponent.

“He’s one of the best cornerbacks in the nation, and as a receiver, can’t nothing be wrong with that,” Belcher said. “I’m ready for that challenge, and I can’t wait.”

Offensive Line Coach Greg Frey said his squad needs to remember there is more to the Cavaliers’ defense than a couple of big names.

“Well, you watch them all,” Frey said. “There are 11 guys on defense and they’re a very good defense ... they fly around, they play physical. They’ve done a great job, and so it will be a challenge.”

Wilson and his staff have been directing attention to increasing the team’s intensity and enthusiasm in order to meet that challenge.

“We just looked like we were at a golf match or something,” Wilson said. “They’re challenging their team and trust me, we’ve been challenging ours. So it will be interesting to see if we’ve got some fight or we’ve got some pride. Are we going to stand up and answer the call? We’ll see.”