Hager’s knee injury requires surgery

Football Injuries

With the least rushing yards and the most sacks allowed in the Big Ten in week one, the IU offensive line was already ailing. Then IU Coach Kevin Wilson delivered news that injuries have exacerbated the situation on the line.

After leaving Saturday’s loss against Ball State with a knee injury, senior offensive tackle Josh Hager learned that the knee needs surgery, which Wilson said could possibly end his season.

Senior linebacker Leon Beckum joins Hager on the sidelines this week with his own knee injury suffered in the same game. His injury looks less serious, as it does not require surgery, but will still keep him inactive for a few games, Wilson said.

“They’re both out for this week,” Wilson said. “Of course, with Josh, if it happens to be long-term, it would be his senior year, which is kind of just disappointing for him, and we’ll see how it goes with Leon.”

Athletics Director Fred Glass also spoke to the media Tuesday about various situations surrounding Saturday’s game.

Traffic is usually a hindrance to IU football fans, but this season should be especially difficult, Glass said, due to local construction and anticipated congestion on highways throughout the state.

The athletics department has planned many alternate routes to the stadium and has posted them on the IU athletics website.

Glass repeated two words of advice to fans — arrive early.

His words of advice for Bloomington residents driving places other than Memorial Stadium is to stay away from the stadium at all costs for risk of getting “sucked into this traffic vortex.”

The parking lots will open at the same time as the gates open — 2 p.m. — to encourage fans to get to the stadium early and tailgate.

On the positive side, Glass said that season ticket sales stood at 21,058 as of Tuesday, compared to barely more than 20,000 sold last season. The athletics department also spruced up the concourse with 1,000 gallons of paint and stain.