sports volleyball

Column: Volleyball building off Sweet 16 berth after rough start to season

The Big Ten Conference has some of the best volleyball in the country.

When Indiana (7-2) began the season losing two of three in Blacksburg, Va., it looked as if it could be a long season in Bloomington.

The Hoosiers had different plans.

Last season, IU finished 23-12 and had a record-setting run to the NCAA Regional. The strong finish set the expectations high for this season.

In the offseason, IU Coach Sherry Dunbar signed a multi-year contract through 2017 for her efforts in rebuilding IU’s volleyball program

She now has a base salary of more than $141,000, raising expectations even higher for 2011 success.

A team with many new players led to a shaky start this season. However, the Hoosiers knew that a new lineup should not be the reason for a slow beginning.

Upon returning to IU, the Hoosiers refocused and have been spectacular since their opening trip.

The Hoosiers have ripped off six straight victories and have looked nothing short of impressive.

During this win streak, IU has dropped just one set out of 19. The lost set came last weekend in the first match of the Hoosier Classic against Gonzaga.

During the weekend, senior libero Caitlin Cox became the all-time digs leader at IU. Her 61 digs took her to 1,569 for her career, a number that will continue to grow during the remainder of the season.

On Monday, the Big Ten Conference announced that Cox was the Co-Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week.

Earlier this season, Dunbar and the Hoosiers were looking for a player to lead the Hoosiers to success. With the absence of Ashley Benson, arguably the best volleyball player in IU history, the Hoosiers found themselves leaning on their upperclassmen to lead them back to prominence.

Not only has Cox stepped up, but juniors Samantha Thrower and Kelci Marschall have helped lead the Hoosiers to an impressive turnaround.

This weekend, IU heads west for the final three matches before the Big Ten season begins.

The Hoosiers have a tough road ahead as they take part in the University of San Diego Tournament on Friday and Saturday. 

George Washington (9-0) is first up before a double-header on Saturday. The weekend slate concludes with matches against UC Santa Barbara (5-4) first and host San Diego (10-0) in the finale.

If the Hoosiers can sweep the weekend, or even take two of three, expect big things for the remainder of the season. However, a losing road trip could bring back the questions of whether or not this team will continue its success as conference play begins after the weekend.

This week, seven Big Ten teams appeared in the Top-25 rankings. IU did not receive any votes, but expect that to change if this streak continues.

High expectations and a determined bunch of Hoosiers should all be reasons to head over to University Gym to witness great volleyball.

When the Hoosiers return to Bloomington, they’ll make a deep run in the tournament yet again — if they have Big Ten success.