Campus failed to consider safety when changing route

Since returning to campus, I have been leading a double life.

In the daytime, I walk from home to class and back, embracing my “crunchy” side as I soak up the rays and the warmth of the last days of summer.

But as the sun sets and darkness spreads over campus, I transform into a ninja-like figure, gripping my pepper spray canister until my palms are sweaty. I really don’t have a choice but to adhere to this alter ego.

The change in campus bus routes has me wandering through a pitch-dark campus, feeling unsafe and tense. I’m not the only one who feels this way. It’s spreading through campus like an epidemic.

Anyone who relies on public transportation and works into the late hours of the night can relate.

The change to the B-bus route, initiated at the beginning of the fall, means no more stops near the Herman B Wells Library, most of the buildings along Third Street or the Indiana Memorial Union.

The IU bus service said the former B-bus route of more than two dozen stops on campus added unnecessary delays.

“We didn’t really think about late night dangers when we removed the stops,” said Christopher Manning, student supervisor for IU Campus Bus Service. “The reason we cut out the stops was to increase overall efficiency.”

With the route cut down to only 10 stops, the ride is certainly smoother during the busy school day, but at night, this is simply not a safe option for students.

Manning recommended students arrange their schedules so they don’t have to be out late at night, but most students don’t have a choice.

Students who work at the IDS are required to stay late in order to get the newspaper out the next day. The same goes for students working elsewhere around campus.Too often, evening classes are the only way a student can hold down a job and fulfill credit hours.
Manning also recommended students take the D-E bus route to 10th Street near Herman B Wells Library and transfer to the B-bus route.

While this is an option, it is also an inconvenience and there is no guarantee bus schedules will constantly line up.

Simply put, if the bus service makes it difficult for students to use the transportation system, they won’t use it. Or worse, they’ll become impatient and walk alone in the dark.

In the wake of the disappearance of Lauren Spierer, IU must encourage students to make safe choices, especially when it comes to walking alone at night on campus. I recommend the campus buses maintain the current route system during the day but reinstate the old route for night hours.

This will ensure efficient use of time during rush hour and safe options at night. Until then, I will continue to embrace my tiger-like instincts and hope my self defense skills from high school will still prove useful if the time should come.

Honestly, I know the school can do better. It should do better.

­— esalomon@indiana.edu