Still sounds fresh

wk_icky mettle

In this reviewer’s opinion, Pavement was the best band of the 1990s.

If there was one band that could give them a run for their money, though, it was Archers of Loaf. Well, maybe Nirvana or Sonic Youth, too.

This reissue of their 1994 debut album, “Icky Mettle,” proves just how formidable they were.

Apparently I’m not the only one who sees a similarity between the bands.

Robert Christgau mentions it in his liner notes for the reissue.

But the Archers were always darker than Pavement was ever willing to get and usually a bit more fierce.

It’s strange to think that “Icky Mettle,” in all its greatness, is out of step with current trends.

Indie music is mostly focused on danceability and synthesizers right now, and this album is unabashed guitar music.

When the music and vocals kick into overdrive on the back half of “You & Me” after being nearly silent for an entire minute, it’s like a shot to the gut — which is strangely pleasant, believe it or not.

Right from the first track, “Web in Front,” it’s obvious that an important band has arrived.

A line like “You’re not the one who let me down, / But thanks for offering” seems to drip with cynicism. But the song as a whole sounds disarmingly sincere.
Many of the songs on “Icky Mettle” end up sounding similar, but that’s not a criticism.
There’s no need to change something if it’s not getting old.

However, “Sick File” is a nice, stylistic diversion where the band sounds more like Black Flag than Pavement.

In case you’re someone who started listening to good music after the 90s ended: Do yourself a favor, and go back to “Icky Mettle.”

It’s worth it.

By Brian Marks