New Monroe County GOP chair discusses party goals

Steven Hogan was elected chair for his second term for the Monroe County Republicans Aug. 1.

He was first elected in 1982 and served until 1991. He takes the office at a difficult time for the party.

A missed deadline will leave many seats currently held by Democrats uncontested in the November city and county elections, including the positions of mayor and city clerk.

The Indiana Daily Student spoke with Hogan shortly after the election to understand his goals as the party moves forward.

IDS: You come to the Monroe County Republicans at a difficult time. Can you describe the effects of previous leadership?

HOGAN: We’ve had some awesome leadership. What happens in organizational politics is people have their own lives, and it’s hard to maintain long-time leadership.

We’ve had some wonderful people who’ve led the Republican Party. We’ve been in a bind because Les (Compton) resigned a few months ago... people’s lives go on.

IDS: In what ways are you different than or similar to Les Compton, your predecessor?

HOGAN: I’m very similar in that I care about the future of the Republican Party. That’s why I got involved. That’s why I was chairman for 10 years. I think now we can pick up and move forward.

IDS: Will you retain the current vice chair, secretary and treasurer, or are you looking for new leadership?

HOGAN: There will probably be some new leadership. Those decisions haven’t been made.

IDS: What is your first goal as chair?

HOGAN: My first goal as chairman is to develop the communication tools to find people that make our party strong. We’re looking to involve the Republicans in Monroe County. There are a lot we haven’t heard from.

IDS: Do you have a timeline for certain goals?

HOGAN: There will be an immediate timeline. There’s a city election in three months. It will entail a lot of internal work. That’s immediate. We have to register voters, get people involved and work with election boards.

IDS: How do you plan to recruit both voters and volunteers?

HOGAN: We’re going to let them know that there is a Republican party and that we care, and we’re trying to rebuild and create something they can be involved in. That brings in volunteers, money and people to the polls.

IDS: Do you plan to work with other local political groups going forward?

HOGAN: Absolutely. We’ve got a college Republican group... we have a local Tea Party movement. They need to get out and be heard.

There are a lot of groups here like that. They’re awesome young people that are really interested in the direction that this country is going in and want their voices heard.

IDS: What will be the local Republicans’ role in the 2011 election?

HOGAN: To register voters, to do city work and to turn out a Republican vote.

IDS: What about the 2012 election? What will be the goal of the Monroe County GOP?

HOGAN: To elect anybody besides Barack Obama (laughs).

IDS: Do you have plans to work with Jim Wallace, Republican candidate for governor of Indiana in 2012?

HOGAN: Absolutely. I’ve met him before. He’s a wonderfully nice guy. It’s always good to see good people get involved at all levels of government.

IDS: Have you begun to identify any other candidates the party plans to support in 2012?

HOGAN: No. There’s a lot of activity. A lot of people are saying they want to get involved, they want to run for office. There are a number of people who want to run for the State Senate or the House of Representatives.

The districts have all changed. There are a lot of questions out there... but it’s not the job of the party to pick the candidate, it’s the voters’. The more people you have involved, the stronger you become. I don’t plan to come out and endorse anybody.

At the local level, we’ve got some really strong people that want to run in 2012. Hopefully we can give them what we need.

IDS: How has the local GOP reacted or participated in national presidential campaigns, such as those of Michele Bachmann and Mitt Romney?

HOGAN: It hasn’t. I’ve been the chairman now for 24 hours, so I’m not privy to any official reaction. Having been really involved, everybody is in a wait-and-see mode. Let’s see what these people can do.

I’ve got my likes. A lot of people have singled out who they can support... I really hope the media gives them all a fair run.