New club promotes environmentalism, IU’s natural beauty

The beginning of the new academic year always brings new student-run organizations. This year is no exception. Bringing Environmental Affairs To Students, more simply known as B.E.A.T.S., kicks off this fall.

Co-founders Paul Luhrsen and Paul Larkin, both juniors, were inspired by the aesthetic of IU’s campus.

“Walking to class each day, it’s nearly impossible to ignore the natural beauty of our Bloomington campus,” said Luhrsen, a SPEA student who will act as president for the group this school year.

B.E.A.T.S. will focus on raising environmental awareness through activism and community service while striving to keep Bloomington beautiful for years to come.
The club started during the summer with Luhrsen, Larkin and a group of their friends, and Luhrsen said he is confident they will be able to act on their passion for environmental issues and effectively make a difference by pooling the ambitions and resources they have.

Already in the works is a plan  to save discarded plastic bottles within the greek community.

Luhrsen, who is a member of Sigma Nu, said the recycled bottles can be used to sterilize unsafe drinking water. He said it’s a small act that can “make a big difference in the lives of many.”

Luhrsen said B.E.A.T.S. also wants to organize an effort to lobby the IU governing body to lower sulfur dioxide and carbon dioxide emissions from campus buildings. He said the final goal is to phase out all coal-based energy sources within campus limits.

While Luhrsen and Larkin plan on having multiple call-out meetings in the near future, the exact dates are yet to be determined. The club is registered on IU’s myINvolvement website, where students can find more information on getting involved with B.E.A.T.S. in the coming year.