sports golf

Men’s golf sets schedule for upcoming season

Although the individual players for the IU men’s golf team play in numerous events throughout the summer, they will come together this fall to begin the 2011-12 golf season.

Head coach Mike Mayer announced the team will compete in five events in both the fall and spring, as well as postseason play.

The Hoosiers will compete in the Northern Intercollegiate — Sept. 10 and 11 at Rich Harvest Farms Country Club in Aurora, Ill. — to jumpstart the season.

Also included in the fall lineup are two premier collegiate events: Olympia Fields and Isleworth.

“Our schedule will allow us to compete against the best teams in the country and prepare us for a run at both the Big Ten Championship and the NCAA Championship,” Mayer said.

In the spring, the men’s golf team will compete in match play events such as the Big Ten Match Play Championship and the Collegiate Match Play Championship

Both events are held at the Concession Club in Bradenton, Fla.

All five starters are returning to play for the cream and crimson this year, as well as freshmen newcomers Nicholas Grubnich of Crown Pointe, Ind., and Andrew Fogg of Greenwood, Ind.

With a full schedule ahead, the men’s golf team will have plenty of opportunities to prepare for the NCAA Central Regional in hopes of continuing on to the NCAA Finals.

The finals are set for May 30 through June 3, 2012, at Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, Calif.

— Abby Liebenthal