Saturday, June 15

Local artist shows ambition through the naked eye

painter

Lindsay Schroeder has been contributing artwork to the Bloomington community for
more than 12 years. Her work has caught the attention of arts fans all through the city
and has even proven to be a bit controversial.

Her newest work is titled “The Blind Ambition of Lindsay Schroeder, Painting without Glasses.”

The IDS sat down with Schroeder to discuss her career, her inspirations and the journey to develop her latest works, which led her to begin painting without glasses to correct her eyesight.

IDS: Are you a Bloomington resident?
Schroeder: “I’ve lived here since 1999, so 12 years now. I’ve been in over 40 shows
since 1997.”

IDS: For those unfamiliar with your work, what kind of art do you make?
Schroeder: “I do just about everything. Right now I focus on oil painting and watercolors. My style has been described as ‘dark’ and has even been censored before. I got a lot of publicity for that. I don’t think it’s traditional dark art. I call it ‘whimsical surrealism.’”

IDS: At what point did you decide to pursue art as a career?
Schroeder: “I’ve considered myself an artist since I was a little kid. It’s just something that is in my being. I studied studio art, painting, set design for theatre and art history at IU.”  

IDS: The main thing we are here to talk about is your latest project — you have been painting without your glasses. How well can you actually see without your glasses?
Schroeder: “I can’t see at all without my glasses. My vision is very bad. I’ve had glasses for 23 years now.”

IDS: Where did this idea originate?
Schroeder: “I wanted to push my boundaries as an artist and try something new. It’s like impressionism. Everything is blurred so the color and the form of what I see really stands out. I liked the way the pieces looked and decided to
stick with it.”

IDS: How difficult is completing a piece like that? How long does it take?
Schroeder: “This style is a lot quicker for me to do than some of my other paintings. Not being worried about how the final piece will look is a big factor in that. Some pieces have taken me years to finish.”

IDS: Is this a one-time project or something you look to continue in the future?
Schroeder: “This is something that I want to keep doing, absolutely. I hope that people like my work so I do get the chance to do more in
the future.
This is the most freeing experience I’ve had as a painter because I’m not concerned about what it will look like in the end. It’s just about the technique of the painting.”

IDS: Where has some of your art appeared around Bloomington?
Schroeder: “I’ve had shows at Lenny’s, Bloomington Bagel Co., Rebecca and Me and at The Venue (Fine Art & Gifts). I have also done shows in Richmond, VA.; Louisville, KY.; and New York City