IU’s depth chart still without quarterback

Saturday’s matchup with Ball State became much easier to picture Monday, as 27 of the 28 starting spots on offense, defense and special teams were revealed.

The small word “or” stood between the names of sophomore quarterbacks Dusty Kiel and Edward Wright-Baker on the depth chart, revealing that only the quarterback position is in doubt for the Hoosier football team.

“These guys have played so little,” IU Coach Kevin Wilson said. “They all have a chance. They’re all doing reasonably well. (When) we get in a game setting, maybe a guy takes off, maybe he doesn’t.”

Wilson also said there’s a possibility that freshman Tre Roberson will continue as a candidate for the job. He said whomever the quarterback is, he will be receiving snaps from junior center Will Matte on Saturday.

Redshirt freshman Matt Perez, who missed last season with a knee injury, will start at running back, but Wilson said two or three running backs could spend time in the backfield, depending on who is playing well. Redshirt sophomore and transfer Stephen Houston looks to be next in line after Perez.

“Right now, I think we’re still at the point where we’re still evaluating, so I don’t know if we’ve settled on one guy,” Co-offensive Coordinator Kevin Johns said last week. “I think right now, we’re going to roll guys and see what happens, and see who gets the hot hand, and who can squeeze it, and who can run fast, and run hard and lead us to victories.”

As expected, senior wide receiver Damarlo Belcher is the No. 1 receiver, but there were notable changes from the 2010 squad.

Backing up the starting three of Belcher, senior Dre Muhammad and sophomore Kofi Hughes were three freshmen: Cody Latimer, Shane Wynn — who will also return kicks — and Jay McCants.

Redshirt sophomores Ted Bolser and Duwyce Wilson were absent from the tight end and wide receiver spots, respectively.

Wilson said injuries have limited them, and even though they may not be far behind physically, they have missed substantial practice time and are still catching up mentally.

“One of my comments is, ‘It’s not about getting healthy. It’s about getting better,’” Wilson said. “And ‘better’ doesn’t mean healthy. It means you’re being a better football player, too, and when you miss work, that’s hard to do.”

Even though Wilson said as many as seven or eight players could play in the secondary and a number of players will be used on the defensive line, a couple of young players have grabbed starting jobs on defense.

Redshirt freshman Ryan Phillis will start at right defensive end after beating out senior Fred Jones. Phillis has impressed teammates like senior defensive end Darius Johnson throughout camp.

“He had a good camp,” Johnson said. “He definitely made a name (for himself) to be one of the top competitors for that starting spot at defensive end. Right now, he’s just got to keep it going, coming into Saturday’s game.”

At the beginning of camp, Wilson and his staff knew they had a solid duo of linebackers in seniors — and close friends — Jeff Thomas and Leon Beckum, but it was unclear who would join them as the strong side linebacker.

It is now clear to both Thomas and the coaching staff that the right man for the job is redshirt freshman Chase Hoobler. Thomas has developed a close trust with Beckum in their playing days together, and he has a similar confidence in Hoobler’s ability.

“Just to have another person like Leon next to me — like Chase — is a real good feeling,” Thomas said. “I know he knows what he’s doing. He’s out there. He’s busting his butt, and from where he’s come to today is a great feeling to have him next
to me.”