sports women's soccer

IU kicks off season opener in new South Florida stadium

Womens Soccer v. Ohio State

The University of South Florida will host the IU women’s soccer team Friday in the opening match of its new soccer stadium.

IU Coach Mick Lyon said he expects a “nice crowd” because the Bulls made their first NCAA Tournament appearance last season. He said the atmosphere in Tampa, Fla., will help his team learn what to expect in more hostile environments.

“We’ll use that as preparation for all the Big Ten opponents we play on the road when we go places where they don’t like us,” he said.

Junior defender Cierstin Burks downplayed any significance of being the first opponent USF faces in their new home.

“Hopefully it doesn’t affect too much,” she said. “We’re probably going to have to get used to it the first couple minutes. We’ll have to adjust.”

Indiana’s defense appears to be in good shape, though. The Hoosiers have allowed three goals in two matches.

“We’ve been on the same page in those past few games, and it’s all started at practice,” Burks said. “It’s great that we’ve been able to do what we do in practice in the games as well.”

All three goals have come via corner kick. Lyon said his defense has played well because each goal was scored from a set piece.

“(We’ve) played 200 minutes of soccer, and no one has scored a goal in the run of play,” he said. “That’s a big boost for the back line: To say they haven’t been exposed, they haven’t gotten in behind you, you haven’t given up an easy goal.

“Can we clean up our set plays? Absolutely. That should be one of the easiest things to do. We’re very happy about our back line, because it’s done a super job.”

Burks agreed the team needs to focus on eliminating mistakes when opponents take corner kicks.

Lyon said senior goalkeeper Lindsay Campbell will start in goal for the Hoosiers in Florida.

“Certainly Lindsey’s got the nod for the start,” Lyon said. “She played very well (in the Butler match). At this point, Lindsay starting the first two games has put herself in good position.”