sports golf

IU alumni represent Hoosiers at PGA Championship

Only a few years ago, former Hoosier golfers Shaun Micheel, Dan Olsen and Jeff Overton were competing for Indiana in collegiate events. Today they are playing on the professional tour, representing the IU men’s golf program at major events such as the Professional Golf Association Championship, which took place Aug. 8 through 14 at the Atlanta Athletic Club in Johns Creek, Ga.

Among the three golfers, Micheel, who currently lives in Memphis, Tenn., was the sole IU alumnus to make the second-round cut of low 70 scores and ties.

While golfing for the Hoosiers from 1988 to ’91, Micheel earned All-American honors, a Big Ten title and All-Big Ten status.

His professional career has been littered with awards, as well. He won the Wanamaker trophy in 2003 at the PGA Championship and placed second at the event in 2006. He carded a 15-over-par 295 at the PGA Tour’s final major tournament of 2011.

Olsen, now of Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., tied for 16th at the 2011 PGA Professional National Championship in June at the Hershey Country Club to clinch a spot at the PGA Championship. He missed the cut at the event after posting a two-day total of 155, 15 shots over par.

Olsen played for the Hoosiers from 1986 to 1989 and was selected for All Big-Ten status in 1988.

Overton, of Evansville, Ind., also missed the second-round cut with a two-day total of 6-over-par 146.

Although Overton did not make the cut at the PGA Championship, he made 18 of 20 cuts and three top-10 finishes on the PGA Tour in 2011, including his third-place finish in July at the AT&T National. The 2005 graduate had an exceptional 2010 golf season with six top-10 finishes and represented the United States at the acclaimed Ryder Cup.

Throughout his time with the Hoosiers, Overton was a two-time All-American, a Big Ten Player of the Year for 2004 and 2005, a 2005 Big Ten Champion and won eight individual collegiate events.

Overton is now one of 125 players who made the playoff cut for the FedExCup. This week’s playoff event is at The Barclays.