Metal we can all appreciate

wk_megadeth

Hipsters, beware. This is a metal review.

Many people write off the genre completely — and occasionally their repulsion is justified. However, Megadeth’s classic, “Peace Sells...But Who’s Buying?” is an album that deserves to be heard by the nonmetal aficionado.

Originally released in 1986, “Peace Sells” is in the company of classic albums from other thrash metal bands like Metallica, Anthrax and Slayer.

It was a great period for metal when these bands were producing albums that were heavier than anything imaginable, intricate and ambitious.

Unfortunately, when some of these bands tried to focus on serious subjects, they ended up sounding a little silly.

Megadeth, on the other hand, was like a breath of fresh air. They mix just enough humor into their songs to show their wit.

The title track is suffused with late Cold War paranoia, but Dave Mustaine’s snarling delivery prevents the subject from dragging the song down.
The band further diversifies their sound on “I Ain’t Superstitious,” an old Willie Dixon song with a bit of a blues feel.

It’s a nice stylistic detour that lifts the album’s mood before the final track comes thundering through.

The 25th anniversary version of this album is newly remastered, and the improvement is noticeable and worthwhile.
Although the volume has been increased, it doesn’t sound overly compressed. The bass is more prominent, and little details that were originally lost now pop out.
A second disc of concert performances from 1987 is included, and while it’s perhaps not essential to the neophyte, the sound is relatively good, and the performances are excellent.

“Peace Sells” is an album that won’t necessarily turn off beginners and if you’re looking for music that will always rock, check it out.