Football schedule for upcoming seasons announced

The IU Athletics Department announced revised schedules for the 2012-14 football seasons Wednesday to reflect the recent Big Ten expansion.

The addition of Nebraska to the Big Ten Conference and subsequent creation of the Legends and Leaders divisions necessitated revisions to the previously-announced future football slates.

As a member of the Leaders Division, IU will play University of Illinois, Ohio State University, Pennsylvania State University, Purdue University and University of Wisconsin annually.

Additionally, each team will also play an assigned team from the opposing division every year as well. In IU’s case, that team will be
Michigan State.

The final two conference games each year will be against other teams from the Legends Division on a rotating basis.

Out-of-conference highlights in upcoming seasons include a home-and-home series against the Naval Academy in 2012 and 2013 and a home-and-home series against University of Missouri, a one-time candidate to join the Big Ten themselves, in 2013 and 2014.

Home-and-home series against University of South Florida and Wake Forest University have been announced for the 2015 and 2016 seasons, but full schedules for those seasons have not yet been released.

The upcoming 2011 season schedule will be unaffected by the changes.

— Max McCombs