Robert Spierer: ‘Let your parents know how much you love them’

In a brief press conference this morning, the Bloomington Police Department said it is following up on tips regarding the case of missing IU student Lauren Spierer.

BPD Capt. Joe Qualters said the BPD is sorting through the nearly 1,000 tips it has received, including more than 500 since photos of a truck of interest were released Wednesday.

Qualters then spent time thanking BPD officers and investigators for their work.

“Two weeks ago today the Bloomington Police Department received a missing persons report on Lauren Spierer,” he said. “Since that time an extraordinary effort has been put forward.”

He said the BPD will continue to interview friends who were with Lauren early in the morning June 3.

Qualters did not take any questions from reporters and said press meetings would resume Monday at 11:30 a.m.

He did not give details about a WTHR report that police removed evidence from Smallwood Plaza early Friday morning. According to that report, police walked inside Smallwood and emerged after 10 minutes carrying a brown paper bag. They placed it in a police car and drove away, according to the report.

Robert Spierer, Lauren’s father, said searches will continue this weekend. Volunteers can sign up at McNutt Residence Center to search nearby woods or visit Smallwood Plaza to hang posters.

On Saturday, America’s Most Wanted will run another segment about Lauren at 9 p.m., Robert said.

He paused.

“We all know that this Sunday is Father’s Day,” he said. His wife, Charlene, held his arm and kissed his shoulder. “I would ask any of the children out there to let your parents know...”

Charlene filled in for him.

“The greatest gift that Robbie could have would be information about Lauren,” she said.

Robert continued.

“Let your parents know how much you love them,” he said. “Parents, let your children know how much you love them.”

For an audio clip of Friday's BPD press conference click here.