Obama encourages hybrid technology in Ind.

Obama in Indianapolis

“It is good to be back in Indianapolis. Hello Hoosiers. Sorry about the Pacers,” President Barack Obama said to an applauding crowd of Allison Transmission employees who burst into laughter.

Obama visited the Indianapolis transmission plant to encourage the production of alternative fuel sources — specifically hybrid technology. Guests included Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard and U.S. Congressman André Carson, D-7th District.

He insisted that the development hybrid technology could reduce the United States’ dependence on foreign oil, provide for a cleaner environment and create jobs in the midst of a recession.

“This is where the jobs in the future are in,” Obama said. Despite the United States’ classification as a service economy, the president said America’s economy will always rely on manufacturing.  

“This is the kind of company that will make sure that America remains the most prosperous nation in the world,” Obama said. “I don’t want the new breakthrough technologies and new manufacturing to take place in China and India; I want all those new jobs right here in Indiana, right here in the United States of America.”

After joking that the Secret Service doesn’t let him fill up his own gas tank, he insisted that new alternative fuel technologies will bring down demand for petroleum, and thus bring down the price of it the long run.

Daskel Slone, a forklift driver who commutes to work at Allison Transmission from Muncie, Ind. said he believes the hybrid technology can save him money on gas.

“I drive an hour and a half each way...that’s about hundred some dollars (in gas) a week,” Slone said.

Obama stated a target of reducing the amount of imported oil by one third by the middle of the next decade. Discrediting proponents of domestic oil drilling, Obama said the United States has 2 to 3 percent of the world’s oil reserves, while using 25 percent of the world’s oil.

“We can’t just drill our way out of the problem,” Obama said. “The real solution is advanced biofuels, natural gas, making our cars and trucks energy efficient.” He said his administration has doubled the amount of hybrids in the “federal fleet.”

“You’re going to have customers in the United States Government,” Obama said to the Allison employees.

Blair Ross, an assembly engineer at Allison Transmission, said the plant expects to produce a higher volume of the hybrid technology in the next few years.

“There is nothing we cannot do so long as we put our mind to it...And I’m going to keep on working with you to make sure we do that so long as I am privileged of being President of the United States,” Obama said.