Bloomington venues offer variety of acts to explore

IU Auditorium

Despite its small town feel, Bloomington has a lively music scene. Check out this sampling of its music venues for a variety of musical acts and styles almost every night of the week.

Indiana University Auditorium
1211 E. Seventh St.

Types of Music:
In the past, the Auditorium has hosted Vampire Weekend, Passion Pit, Feist, Flight of the Conchords and The Flaming Lips.

Atmosphere:

The 70-year-old art-decor style venue may seem too “classy” for a rock concert, but a new sound system and 3,200-seat setup make every seat in the house a good one.
Before you go, you should know:
“There has always been a student discount offered for at least one price level,” Events Manager Maria Talbert said.

Rachael’s Café

300 E. Third St.

Types of Music:
“We try to have an eclectic mix of music and bring acts that aren’t accessible elsewhere,” Events Coordinator Ricky Peden said. “We do everything here, from hip-hop to metal to singer-songwriters. We’re very open-minded and try to accommodate what people want.”

Atmosphere:
“We have a salsa band that creates a big dance party and we push back the tables. At other shows, people sit back and relax,” Peden said.
Before you go, you should know:
“About 80 percent of shows are fundraisers tied to a cause, so we just ask for donations,” Peden said.

The Bishop
123 S. Walnut St.

Types of Music:
“There’s nothing we don’t do,” owner Stephen Westrich said. “It’s mostly a rock and indie-rock venue, but we’ve also had acoustic, alternative country and hip-hop. It’s about half national, half local bands.”
Toro y Moi, Margot and the Nuclear So and So’s, Tortoise and Cursive have performed at The Bishop.

Atmosphere:
“We try to create an intimate, professional experience,” Westrich said. “You’ll be able to see the stage.”
Before you go, you should know:
“The venue is 18+ almost always,” Westrich said.
However, since The Bishop is also a bar, be sure to check for select events that are 21+ only.

Rhino’s
331 S. Walnut St.

Types of Music:
“We have national and local bands, usually metal, hip-hop, ska, alternative or punk,” Director Brad Wilhelm said. “We pride ourselves as being the only venue that books strictly original music.”
Popular recent Rhino’s shows included Against Me! and Modest Mouse.

Atmosphere:
“It’s low key, not rowdy,” Wilhelm said. “And because it’s an all-ages club, there’s no alcohol.”
Before you go, you should know:
“The people who come here have a hand in booking and running the club,” Wilhelm said. Weekly meetings involve listening to demos to choose future performers.
Many shows are free, but national acts can cost from $5 to $15.

Other Places to Explore:
Max’s Place
108 W. Sixth St.

Buskirk-Chumley Theater
114 E. Kirkwood Ave.

Bluebird Nightclub (21+)

216 N. Walnut St.