sports softball

Third time is charm for Gardner’s improved IU squad

Softball vs. Michigan

IU softball coach Michelle Gardner looks out at her team practicing on a brisk Thursday afternoon in early spring.

She sees a team that is making real progress after a tough first two years for Gardner in Bloomington.

Since coming over from the University of Nevada in June 2008, Gardner’s Hoosiers compiled a 22-72 record in her first two years, but this year the team has made great strides with a 19-13 record. The team will look to continue its winning ways when it travels to Ann Arbor to take on No. 3 Michigan this weekend.

Gardner said the major difference has been the strong pitching, in particular that of
senior Morgan Melloh.

“We’re still building in some areas, but with the addition of Morgan Melloh, she keeps us in a lot of ball games and gives us an opportunity to win any ball game we play,” Gardner said.

A Fishers, Ind., native, Melloh attended Fresno State University her first three years but transferred to IU in the offseason to play closer to home. The move has paid dividends for the Hoosiers.

In the 2010 season, the Hoosiers’ pitching staff compiled a 12-36 record with a 4.59 ERA. With Melloh taking the brunt of the work this season, the team has dropped its ERA to a miniscule 2.07. Despite all the success that Melloh had at Fresno State, the former All-American said she didn’t feel any extra pressure coming home to pitch.

“I don’t see any pressure. I just come out and play and have fun, and I think that’s what everybody does on this team. They don’t focus on the statistics and what they did last year. They are focusing on this year,” Melloh said.

While the pitching has been a big reason for the turnaround this season, the hitting has been much improved for the Hoosiers. IU has a team batting average of .258, 20 points higher than a year ago. The Hoosiers have eight players with at least a .250 average compared to three last year.

Sophomore Breanna Saucedo said the improvement comes from the team having more confidence.

“The biggest difference is the way we approach our game,” Saucedo said. “I think we all have more confidence at the plate and on the field.”

As Melloh has come in and become the primary starting pitcher for the Hoosiers, senior Sara Olson switched to the everyday first baseman to make way for the All-American, despite leading the team in wins last season. For some players this may have been a rocky transition, but Olson said she had no problem allowing Melloh to take over most of the pitching duties.

“Morgan is an amazing pitcher, and she is a All-American for a reason,” Olson said. “Anything that was going to help the team and the program is exactly what I wanted to do.”

Whether it has been Melloh’s success or a renewed approach at the plate, the Hoosiers are in the driver’s seat as they delve into Big Ten play.

“I do feel that a lot of pressure is on her (Melloh), but I think she handles it very well and I think she trusts her defense as well,” Saucedo said. “I think having trust between all the players is definitely key.”