These bands SHOULD be on 'Rock Band'

bandcollage

The amount of music that games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero have amassed is impressive, but no amount of music can satisfy everyone. Certain bands like Radiohead and The Strokes are notoriously underrepresented on the games given their rich catalog (I’m even of the mind there should be a Beatles: Rock Band 2 with the new keyboard controller), but certain others are conspicuously absent.  

These 10 bands appear in no form of the rhythm gaming genre, and let’s hope that changes very soon.

(2) Arcade Fire
For a game that has long championed obscure indie acts searching for notoriety, it is amazing that Arcade Fire, the new king of the indie world, has not yet made the transition to “Rock Band”’s DLC store. Its expansive big band sound would be perfect for a full “Rock Band” ensemble, and who wouldn’t want to recreate the mournful harmonies of Win Butler and Regine Chassagne with the multiple vocal tracks?

Counting Crows
Even with Tom Petty and Bon Jovi on the game, you can’t have enough of the upbeat Americana-rock Counting Crows can deliver. The band’s songs aren’t exactly difficult, but it has got a nice mix of vocal harmonies on some popular radio hits that would fit the party game vibe nicely.

George Harrison
John Lennon was recently introduced into the “Rock Band” catalogue with the entire “Imagine” album. Add that to Paul McCartney’s “Band on the Run” tracks, and we’re missing the last key solo career of the Beatles (sorry, Ringo). Anything off “All Things Must Pass” or even some of his 1980s stuff off “Cloud Nine” will do just fine.

Led Zeppelin
Of course this would be awesome. Harmonix has actually been looking to make a game fully dedicated to the rock icons as far back as 2008, but the band was reluctant to give up its master tracks to produce it. Just imagine, though: The easiest song in “Led Zeppelin: Rock Band” would probably be harder (and longer) than even the hardest in the originals.

(3) MGMT
While “Oracular Spectacular” is a little too techno-fied not to seem really silly played on a plastic guitar, MGMT’s sophomore “Congratulations” has a bit more of that upbeat pop sound with the keyboard parts that would fit perfectly into “Rock Band 3”’s repertoire.  

The National
Most “Rock Band” singers have a tough time nailing higher pitched singers, so it would be interesting to see someone tackle Matt Berninger’s baritone vocals. Plus, Bryan Devendorf’s virtuoso drumming on tracks would be a great challenge on expert. 

(4) Pink Floyd
I’m reluctant to say this is a good idea for fear that any Pink Floyd album could possibly be listened to not in full succession. It would require a full game and the option to play extended medley tracks the way Harmonix did with side two of “Abbey Road” on “Beatles: Rock Band.” But if this did exist, I think I’d go comfortably numb. 

Porcupine Tree

If you’re going to include Pink Floyd, you may as well add these modern hard rockers who are the closest thing to it. Seriously, I don’t think there are enough 12-minute long songs with a mix of metal and subtle ambience on Rock Band.

The Temper Trap
The swimming guitars, rapid pop drums and mean falsetto of this Australian band would be a tough challenge in any rhythm game. Although my first choice would be “Sweet Disposition,” there’s a decent keyboard part on “Love Lost” or “Fader” that would be fun for everyone.

(1) U2
Prior to the release of “Green Day: Rock Band,” Harmonix issued a survey asking if anyone would buy a game dedicated to any or all of five bands: Queen, Led Zeppelin, The Eagles, Pink Floyd and U2. Here’s your first sale. “Rock Band” already cheats with laying the lead guitar line over the rhythm guitar, so why not allow us to play as The Edge and blend our own sonic patterns the way he does? Further, Bono’s vocals would be some of the hardest any gamer would ever dare attempt.