Should you be a superhero?

Inside is here to help you get in touch with your inner child.

Dylan Cashbaugh

If you were that kid who tried to jump off the roof using a bed sheet like a cape, Bloomington offers many ways for you to channel your inner Superman or Spider-Man. Practice your wall-climbing skills at IU Outdoor Adventures’ bouldering wall, located in Eigenmann Residential Center. For $5, you can scale three 11-foot walls without any ropes or harnesses — it’s just you and your spidey-sense.

Bloomington Skydiving offers tandem skydiving with an instructor — perfect for beginners. Freefalling at speeds of up to 120 mph, you’ll feel as if you’re flying over the streets of Metropolis. One day of skydiving will set you back around $200, but when you’re training to fight villains, the result is priceless.

Try out parkour like senior Dylan Cashbaugh and be a real-life Spider- Man. Cashbaugh describes parkour as traveling efficiently through your environment while moving under and through anything that’s in your way. It’s like turning your world into an obstacle course. Parkour participants scale walls, jump across gaps, and do flips to push themselves physically and mentally. It isn’t an official sport, but participants like Cashbaugh have formed a student activities group that meets on Saturday afternoons to practice their craft.

“I can do things now that, before I knew about parkour, I didn’t know any human was capable of,” Cashbaugh says.

Cashbaugh’s worst injury so far has been a sprained ankle, but scrapes and cuts are the most common injury associated with the sport.

“We don’t try things we don’t think we can do. It’s all about safety and progressing until you know you’re ready to run up a wall or jump across a gap or do a flip.”

Take:
 CLLC-L 100 Comics as Memoir
HPER-E 145 Intro to the Martial Arts
THTR-T 230 Costume Design & Technology I

Watch: The Incredibles, Sky High, X-Men

You’re going too far if ...
1. You’ve begged all of your friends to say “Man/ Woman of Wonder” after your name. 2. You’ve named your car the Batmobile.
3. You make “whooshing” noises with every movement.