New recruit commits after visit to campus on Monday

Sports scholarship graph

Just two days after visiting Bloomington, 2011 guard Remy Abell knew where he wanted to go to college.

Abell, a 6-foot-4-inch guard from Eastern High School in Louisville, Ky., committed Wednesday to play for IU Coach Tom Crean and the Hoosiers. 

“IU’s a great school with a lot of tradition and history,” Abell said. “When I went on my visit, I loved everything about it. I’m just trying to go there and be a competitor and bring toughness. I want to help bring them back to a winning tradition.”

The All-State selection chose IU instead of Penn State, Xavier, Western Kentucky and Butler.

He joins Washington (Ind.) High School power forward Cody Zeller and Hamilton Heights (Ind.) High School small forward Austin Etherington in the 2011 class.

Abell averaged 16 points, 2.7 assists and 2.5 steals as a senior for Eastern. He helped lead his team to a 33-3 record this season and a spot in the state semifinals.  His 113 career wins are the most achieved in school history.

Much of the decision to choose IU, Abell said was based on wanting to play for Crean.

“He’s a future Hall of Fame coach,” Abell said. “He’s someone that can push you and get you ready for the next level. I’m really happy to be associated with him and have him coach me.”

Abell originally committed to Bradley University last September, but opted out after the school fired coach Jim Les in March.

But while one school lost out on the tough scoring guard, another gained one.   
Evan Daniels, a national recruiting analyst for Scout.com, said he believes Abell will be a nice addition to the IU lineup next season.

“Remy’s a hard-nosed combo guard that can really defend and is improving the offensive side of his game,” Daniels said. “He’s a kid that can really get to the basket and finish around the rim. I just like his toughness and how hard he plays.”

Abell said he was looking forward to joining the team this summer and beginning his college career.

“I just want to come and show everybody that I’m a winner,” he said.  “I really can’t wait to get started.”