Mission to Mars

Martians could exist

Moon

Star Trek. Signs. Men in Black. The list of alien films goes on and on. But despite all the movies, the approximately 5.5 million known species in the solar system are found in only one spot: Earth. Nevertheless, human imagination still clings to cinematic aliens and leaves us wondering: Could Martians really exist?

Lisa Pratt, a professor of geological sciences and astrobiology expert, says it’s likely, but we shouldn’t be looking for little green men with three eyes.

“Any life on Mars would be small and simple, like archaea or bacteria on Earth,” she says. “If life on Mars exists, or existed, it would have to be very tiny to survive the cold, dry climate.”

Pratt studies microbes that live in extreme environments — places that most creatures would fi nd impossible to survive. So far, her research has taken her from two miles beneath the surface of South Africa to the Arctic Circle. Now, she’s looking at Mars.

“Mars is very cold, but it still has internal heat and sources of H2O. Its composition is very Earth-like,” Pratt explains. “The conditions in the Arctic, with the frigid temperatures, are a very good comparison to Mars.”

Worried about an alien invasion? The Martians won’t attack in UFOs, but Pratt says there’s a possibility they could wreak havoc on Earth’s ecosystem.

“If there is life on Mars, we need to be very careful that we do not introduce an Earthlife that competes with indigenous life and vice-versa,” Pratt says. “Astrobiologists worry about planetary protection in both directions.”

Working with Pratt, NASA recently announced plans for the Mars Astrobiology Explorer- Cacher, a rover that will collect samples from rocks that have a high-likelihood of containing evidence of past life. Pratt says scientists will look for fossilized cells or organic molecules that have been linked to living cells and enzymes.

“If we find life, I won’t be so much excited as relieved,” Pratt admits. “It would be a sense of relief to know that our understanding of the processes of life are on the right track.”

But just don’t expect to chill with blueskinned aliens any time soon.

Learn from Yoda, you will not.