Men’s Golf looking to build off of strong showing at home tournament

After the team won its third-straight adidas Hoosier Invitational at their home course, the IU Golf Course, Sunday by 15 strokes and placing four players in the top 10, the IU men’s golf team will travel to Urbana, Ill. for the Illini Spring Classic at Stone Creek Golf Club.

The team’s lone home tournament of the season, which included several Indiana schools - including an IU “B” team – saw both IU teams at the top of the leader board after Saturday’s play, with the “A” team sitting at five-under par in first place and the “B” team just two shots behind.  After the conclusion of Sunday’s play, the “A” team fought off their teammates, finishing 15 shots ahead of second-place Cleveland State. Junior David Erdy, who finished in second place for individuals, just one shot back from the top medalist, received Big Ten Golfer of the Week honors for his play in the tournament.

This weekend’s tournament will serve as a preview of the Big Ten Championships which will be in two weeks in West Lafayette, Ind.  with eight other Big Ten schools in the 13-team field, including No. 12 Illinois and No. 22 Ohio State, according to the Golfweek-Sagarin rankings.

The team will begin their 36-hole play Saturday with an 8 a.m. shotgun start on the par-72 course. Sunday’s 18 holes will also begin at 8 a.m.

“We have one more tune-up before the Big Ten’s and have some preparation time,” coach Mike Mayer said. “But we need to take care of the little things better; I think in the big picture we do well, but we’ve had some three-putts that are pretty uncalled for. It’s not the big things – we’re not going to his the ball any farther or straighter – but if we can take care of opportunities when they present themselves, we’ll be good.”