Khalifa leaves crowd spellbound

Wiz Show

As some students were having fun at the races and preparing for one of the most epic weekends at IU, others were hastily working before the Mac Miller and Wiz Khalifa concert Friday night.

Dancers were backstage rehearsing, braiding each others’ hair and getting ready to open for the two hip-hop artists.

Three different dance groups performed: Off Beat Hip Hop, InMotion Dance and Hip Hop ConnXion.
“I’m very excited to open before Wiz tonight,” Off Beat dancer Marni Pozan said. “I’m seriously obsessed with Wiz and so excited about the people who will be here.”

As concert time was approaching, the opening time delayed a bit as the line extended down the sidewalks. However, the delay only heightened the anticipation and excitement of the audience.

The crowd was pumped and ready to hear Mac and Wiz. Then, as an answer to their requests, Mac came storming onstage with his entourage.

The crowd members pumped their arms in the air and jumped in unison as Mac brought the party, exclaiming his love for IU and “the best day ever.”

“Everyone at college shows are always cool,” Miller said. “For a long time I always thought that college crowds wouldn’t like me. College crowds are fun, they like to party and it’s cool to perform for a crowd that knows your songs and sings along.”

Mac said he performed in Bloomington a couple of years ago for another Little 500 concert.

The rapper said it was the first time he had performed for a crowd that was bigger than 10 people.

After Mac performed, the lot was packed and the VIP section was completely full.

Backstage, the path was to be cleared for Wiz. Suddenly, Wiz and his friends appeared from the greenroom and made their way onstage.

As Wiz walked on, the crowd all congregated as close as possible to listen to “On my level.”

“Hit the club spend this money up, roll another one, drink, act a fool / That’s what I have to do.”

The lyrics resonated with the festivities and feel of Little 500.

“A lot of college kids listen to him because they can relate to what he’s rapping about,” senior Dre Kates said.

Wiz rapped about “getting on his level,” and his laid-back demeanor connected with the crowd.

After rapping different songs from his new album, Wiz turned to the crowd and mentioned his love for Pittsburgh, and everyone knew what was coming: the song that has skyrocketed him to the top.

The entire crowd started yelling in unison, “Ah ha, you know what it is / Black and yellow.”

“I love it,” freshman Erin Robertson said. “I’m a huge Wiz fan. I think he’s just really chill.”

Tickets were completely sold out and the concert was a success, concert coordinator Derrick Cowit said.

“This is an incredible experience,” Cowit said. “I love being responsible for everyone’s good time. It’s a pleasure doing it.”