High school production raises bar

“To be or not to be” is arguably one of the most famous lines in the world of theater. But if one sings “mein herr,” less people would recognize what play it came from, let alone what it actually means.

Bloomington High School North theater students are hoping to change that with the production of “Cabaret,” a musical that takes place in the 1930s in Berlin.

They will perform “Cabaret” at 7:30 p.m. today and Saturday and April 14-16 and at 2 p.m. Sunday.

The musical tells the story of the Kit Kat Klub’s performers and customers as Hitler and the Nazi Party rise to power in a period of desperation and ambiguity. The musical will delve into the issues of that time period, including anti-Semitism.

“The ‘Cabaret’ has a darkness to it,” said Francesca Sobrer, director of BHSN’s theater program.

The news of the “Cabaret” musical at BHSN reached the IU campus. Bill Rasch, the chairman of the IU Germanic studies department, encouraged his students in his course on the Weimer Republic — a period between 1919 and 1933 in Germany that eventually led to the rise of Hitler in 1933 — to attend the musical for relevant
historical context.

“One thing I do know is that North puts on really great productions,” he said.  
BHSN’s theater program is no little theater troupe either. More than 100 students are in the program, all taught by Sobrer.

The students went to the Globe Theatre in London and participated in a workshop on Shakespeare acting. They then went to Scotland, where the students attended a workshop with Scottish theater students, performed in Church Hall and saw the One Night Stand improv group.

Jonathan Michaelsen, the chairman of the IU Department of Theatre & Drama, acknowledged Sobrer and the BHSN theater program.

“We think highly of what they do. Francesca has to put it all together herself,” he said. “I think the students at a high school do it all. They learn great skills for life and the programs they have are very strong.”

Just like the IU theater department, Sobrer said she believes the BHSN productions stand out above others.

“It’s not about the role, it’s about the whole play, and that’s what makes our productions stand out,” she said.

Tickets can be purchased at BHSN’s bookstore or through Black Box. Tickets are $10 for high school students and senior citizens and $15 for the general public.

For reservations, call 330-7724, ext. 50235, or email norththeatre@yahoo.com.