Gary police fined $850,000 for severe beating charge

A chilling police brutality case in Gary came to a close after four years last Friday.

Corporal Anthony Blood was found guilty in Hammond Federal Court for severely beating 63-year-old Gary resident and Army veteran Percy Perry on June 24, 2007.

Perry was apprehended by Blood and Officer Irving Givens after attempting to remove a window from an abandoned building, according to a press release issued by Loevy and Loevy Attorneys at Law. Perry was reportedly removing the window in order to sell it.

Perry also reportedly aimed a screwdriver at Blood.

After he had surrendered, Blood struck him with his baton hard enough to force Perry’s left eye out of its socket. Perry was knocked unconscious.

Pier Petersen, an attorney at Loevy and Loevy, said Perry was unarmed and lying on the ground when Blood struck him. She also said Givens did not attack Perry and was not present when the attack occurred.

“Unfortunately this case is just one of many involving police misconduct and police officer defendants that Loevy & Loevy handles each year,” Petersen said. “As Americans, we are fortunate that, under our legal system, police officers are held accountable for their actions just as private citizens are.”

Perry required several surgeries following the beating. During the first, physicians were forced to remove the eye. 

Last week the federal jury ordered that Perry be awarded $750,000 in compensatory damages and an additional $100,000 in punitive damages.

Petersen said Perry was very cooperative during the legal process.

“It is always heartening to work with people who maintain their faith in the ability of the legal system to right wrongs, even after their civil rights have been violated by a person in a position of trust and authority, such as a police officer,” Petersen said.

Petersen said she was glad justice was done in this case despite the fact that Perry will never regain his sight and the damage can never be undone.

She said the jury’s decision sent the message that police officers will be held accountable.

“This is exactly what juries are for — to ensure that the government and its agents don’t abuse their power,” Petersen said.

BREAKDOWN OF DAMAGES

COMPENSATORY
Use: Replacement funds.
Example: If a negligent driver destroys a car, these  would equal the market value of the car at the time of its destruction.
This case: Perry received $750,000.

PUNITIVE
Use: Punish the defendant.
Example: If that negligent driver acted grossly reckless, additional awards may be granted to the plaintiff to punish the defendant’s behavior.
This case: Perry received $100,000.