Friends promote 'Traffic Safety Fridays'

0000-Tr-1656067149

Junior James Moeller waves while dressed as Waldo from the "Where's Waldo?" books as juniors Jack McMahon and Aaron Cox, and senior Joey Shrock sit under a canopy to stay dry on rainy Friday March 4. Excluding winter and spring break Fridays, the students have not missed a Friday since they started in October. The "Use Turn Signal" sign is a remake of the original, which is framed in their living room. Steph Aaronson Buy Photos

“USE TURN SIGNAL” was the first of many helpful — followed by humorous — signs to prevent accidents and entertain drivers.

In October, sophomore Ben Hauser, juniors Frank “Mac” Trechsel and Jack McMahon and senior Joey Shrock moved chairs outside of their house at the intersection of South Mitchell Street and Atwater Avenue and took a sharpie to a sheet of cardboard.

They said they and their friends first recognized the dangerous intersection in September while sitting on their porch.

“Traffic Safety Friday” is now a weekly event, where the roommates and various friends hold signs, dance and catch up from noon to 5 p.m.

Drivers express their love of “Traffic Safety Friday” with numerous honks, “knucks,” waves and gifts.

“We make people’s day,” said junior Aaron Cox.

More