PHOTO: Six years in the making, Indiana men’s basketball defeats No. 4 Purdue

phiumbb012122_DOMINANT.jpg

phiumbb012122_1.jpg
Students stand in line outside at 3 p.m. in front of Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall, four hours before tipoff. The freezing temperatures and falling snow did not discourage fans from waiting for the doors to open. Alex Paul
phiumbb012122_2.jpg
Night sets in as fans enter Assembly Hall. Alex Paul
phiumbb012122_3.jpg
IU seniors Nicholas Stevens and Cassidy Slavik cheer for a television camera before the game. "Because of the pandemic and being away forever, this is an insane environment to be a part of,” Stevens said. Alex Paul
phiumbb012122_4.jpg
The crowd, packed into the seats of Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall, watch the pregame video before the starting lineup walks onto the court. Indiana men’s basketball had not defeated Purdue since 2016 going into Thursday’s game. Alex Paul
phiumbb012122_5.jpg
A portion of the student section holds up Indiana Daily Student spirit pages as Purdue’s starting lineup walks onto the court. Alex Paul
phiumbb012122_6.jpg
IU sophomore Alex Snively cheers after Indiana scored a 3-pointer in the first half of the game against Purdue. Indiana men’s basketball defeated Purdue 68-65 on Jan. 21 at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. Alex Paul
phiumbb012122_7.jpg
Members of the crowd lean over the scoreboard, which shows the tied score late in the second half of the game. Indiana had a nine-game losing streak against Purdue going into Thursday’s game. Alex Paul
phiumbb012122_8.jpg
Indiana senior guard Rob Phinisee is hoisted above the crowd by his teammates after Indiana defeated No. 4 Purdue 68-65. Phinisee hit a go ahead 3-pointer with under a minute left in the game. Alex Paul
phiumbb012122_9.jpg
IU sophomore Ian Haithcoat poses for a photo while celebrating on the court after the upset win. Indiana’s overall record is 14-4 this season after defeating Purdue, with a 12-0 record at home. Alex Paul