Farmers’ Market showcases ‘vibrant’ Bloomington

Farmers' Market

After a week of clouds, cold and crystal precipitation, the Bloomington Community Farmers’ Market spring opening Saturday welcomed a cool but sunny day.

The usual staples of farmers’ markets across the country were there, including free-range eggs, fresh flower bouquets and lots of vegetables and fruit.

A fall-themed tablecloth showcased Weber’s Sugar Camp maple syrup as three of the farm’s workers stood behind the table, chatting with customers. Bloomington resident John Byers said this year’s opening brought more customers than in past years.

“I think people are understanding that local food is better,” Byers said. “You can look at the vendor in the eye. You can see the person you support.”

In a four-minute span, three people came to purchase bottles of the pure maple syrup, which are available exclusively at the farmers’ market from April through November.

Byers said collecting sap and creating syrup is more of an art than an exact science, but that nonetheless he believes this year they have enough syrup to actually make it through the farmers’ market season.

“I mean, I think we’ll have enough for the season because of our increased capacity,” Byers said. “This year we were able to make 110 gallons of syrup during the season.”

Down several booths and in the center, 14-year-old David Ray explained how the sap-collecting season fit into his school schedule.

“We collected twice a day,” Ray said. “I got it before I went to school and after I got home from wrestling.”

Ray is the de facto head of the maple syrup business. He said he’s taken over from his grandfather with the help of a long-time friend.

Bloomington resident Isabel Vernaza purchased a bottle of Ray’s pure maple syrup.

“I usually buy maple syrup here anyway,” Vernaza said. “But they were just really friendly.”

Vernaza caught up with her friend Gracia Valliant, also a Bloomington resident. Valliant said opening day of the farmers’ market is a must for anyone, but Vernaza said every week is a must.

“I’m addicted to the farmers’ market,” Vernaza said.

IU junior Brooke Reliford said although she could also be considered a farmers’ market addict, she would consider herself one of few among students. She said this is part of the reason she enjoys the market.

“The farmers’ market is a good place to get good food and fresh food and interact with nonstudents,” Reliford said.

Reliford said she also enjoys that the market is filled with variety.

“There’s fresh food,” Reliford said, “but people are also selling hot food and doing lots of different things.”

Those different things included listening to the sounds of Bloomington-based band The Creek Dogs and registering to vote at different political tables. IU students with clipboards tried to round people up to their respective “Mark Kruzan for Mayor” or “John Hamilton for Mayor” tables. Others attempted carving limestone at the Indiana Limestone Symposium booth.

Bloomington resident Dale Enochs at the ILS booth said they were there to make people aware of the symposium taking place this summer.

“I’m doing great today,” Enochs said. “The sun has come out, people are friendly by and large and we’re just plunking around and teaching people how to plunk around.”

Enochs said the farmers’ market showcases the connectivity of Bloomington.

“The farmers’ market is a real community thing,” Enochs said. “It’s the community coming together, and Bloomington is a vibrant community.”