‘Candy Coated Chaos’ combines art with charity

Joe Masek’s senior exhibition, “Candy Coated Chaos,” on Friday and Saturday at The Lodge was more than a senior art show. It was a combination concert and exhibit for charity.

About a month ago, Masek decided to turn his senior exhibit into a benefit for Middle Way House and Committed to Freedom Ministries. Middle Way House is a local organization that provides shelter for abused women and children. Committed to Freedom Ministries is an organization in Hot Springs, Ark., that provides spiritual healing for abuse survivors.

The benefit was the first Masek had ever organized.

“It’s nice to work with a bunch of artists who are just doing it for the good cause,” Masek said. “I feel like I’m part of a giving team now.”

Masek has an individualized major in pre-art therapy major at IU, but he has lived in Bloomington for 13 years. The two-day exhibit, silent auction and benefit show featured pieces from local artists as well as IU art students and faculty. All of the proceeds generated by the silent auction will go to the two organizations.

At The Lodge, the entire gallery space was covered with artwork from 30 to 40 artists, including the art created by foster kids who Masek has worked with in the past.

Masek’s inspiration for the “Candy Coated Chaos” theme comes in part from his love for the chaos star icon. He explained the “Candy Coated” part as something that gives balance to the chaos.

At the show, hundreds of pieces of candy were strewn everywhere — all over the ground and on top of the display tables that held the sculptures. The show also featured music by DJ Spikes on Friday, eight different bands Saturday and beer and wine from local establishments.

Although Masek’s work was a central part of the exhibit, the diverse range of subject matter, mediums, styles and perspectives made “Candy Coated Chaos” a show that had something for everyone. The collection included bright paintings of pop culture icons, metal sunflower wall sculptures, collages made from paper and cardboard and steel guitar sculptures.

Local artist Adam Nahas showed a series of hand sculptures with different meanings, including one made out of bronze and maple that signaled, “Cowabunga!” One sculpture was of a life-size human form completely covered in cigarettes.

Sophomore Caitlin Pond came because her sculpture teacher recommended it to her.

“I was expecting it to be all sculpture,” Pond said. “I’m a painter, and I was surprised to see all of these paintings.”

Pond said she really enjoyed the pieces with nature as a theme.

“I like the orange squid one and the giant bee,” Pond said. “I like the way the paint was handled.”

Bloomington resident Nora Liell attended the benefit to support her daughter Avery Liell-Kok, whose artwork was featured in the show. Liell said she appreciated the eclectic vibes of the illustrative work that she saw in the exhibit.

“I was intrigued to see younger artists,” Liell said. “I think a lot of these younger artists are sometimes not that well thought of in the larger art community, but I love them.”

Local artist Michael Burchfield’s acrylic and spray paint pieces were showcased at the exhibit. He said his paintings, which use graphic elements and are usually accompanied by strange, catchy titles, are about the life lessons he’s learned.

Burchfield has known Masek for years and said he was happy to contribute a painting for the show’s silent auction.  

“Any time I get a chance to be part of a greater good, I’m in,” Burchfield said.

Masek said the benefit was definitely a lesson in philanthropy.

“It was very humbling in a lot of ways,” Masek said. “I feel blessed, and I’m glad to bless back.”