Monday, June 17

Warhol Happenings invade art museum

Shot By Warhol

Campbell’s soup cans have invaded the IU Art Museum.

Delicately placed in the lobby with red daisies on top, the cans welcomed patrons to the first of three Warhol Happenings.

Artist Andy Warhol is famously known for this Pop art paintings of classic pop culture icons, such as Marilyn Monroe and the Coca-Cola  bottle.

The events are designed in conjunction with the museum’s spring guest exhibition, “Shot by Warhol.”

Thursday’s affair was designed to center around music and featured local band, Tammar.

Frontman Dave Walter said he hopped on the opportunity to perform at the IU Art museum because he used to work there.

“I used to sing during my midnight shift,” Walter said. “The acoustics are fantastic
in here.”

Walter also said Tammar’s choice to cover Velvet Underground songs during its first set seemed only fitting because Warhol used to manage the band.

As Tammar began to play, Velvet Underground’s lyrics were projected behind the stage in the Thomas A. Solley Atrium.

Walter sang the lyrics that were also jotted down in his journal, which he held.
While listening to the concert, audience members had the opportunity to tour the gallery.

The IU Art Museum gallery features more than 150 of Warhol’s original photographs.
Special event coordinator Madeline Bornstein said the laid-back atmosphere of the exhibit is the most interesting part.

“The exhibit is set up to look like The Factory. It’s really casual and fun,” Bornstein said.

Warhol’s original Factory was located in Manhattan and was the hangout for artsy types during the 1960s.

Many of  Thursday’s patrons were out to support Tammar and view the exhibit.
However IU alumna Lea Woodward said it was the familiarity of Warhol’s name that ultimately drew her to the event.

“I don’t really come to the art museum that often, but I think everyone has at least heard of Andy Warhol,” Woodward said. “And the fact that his work is being displayed so close to home was more than enough reason to check it out.”

The next two Thursdays will feature different events at the museum. Both will be based  on Warhol’s exhibit.

A screening of “I Shot Andy Warhol” will be shown March 24 as part of the movie night.  

March 31 will be in the theme of Warhol’s famed Factory parties. Both events are free.
Guests  will also be offered special tours of the
exhibition.